unaanonimamas Carolina P.

INT. SCHOOL/CLASSROOM - AFTERNOON BUSTLE. Almost full of students. A professor (50) is sitting in front of a desk, reading and checking pages in a folder. Around her are all her things. The blackboard has written activities, but most of the students remain distracted. ZOE SMITH (19), is sitting at a desk/bench, bored. THREE GIRLS (17), behind her, talk quietly. Number 3 is chewing gum. Zoe listens to them without flinching. GIRL 1 Axel was rumoured to fuck like the gods. GIRL 2 Yes, they said he was a stallion, too bad he's already graduated. GIRL 3 Oh I don't know girls, I'll find him and do something with my mouth that I'll never forget. Best of all, the lapdog, ex four-eyed, low IQ, didn't touch a hair on his head. The three girls laugh. Girl 3 takes the chewing gum out of her mouth and throws it in Zoe's hair. All three laugh quietly. Zoe hides her anger. She sharpens a pencil, making it sharp. THE BELL RINGS. Class ends and the students begin to put things away. PROFESSOR Do the exercises. See you next week. Zoe puts her things away. The last thing is the pencil case. She closes it, leaving the pencil out.


Diyaloglar / Senaryolar Sadece 18 yaş üstü için. © All rights reserved

#humanlyhumans #pseudoscreenplay
5
5.9k GÖRÜNTÜLEME
Tamamlandı
okuma zamanı
AA Paylaş

Humanly humans (Travel)


Second of six independent stories, linked by an epilogue.


What is written in italics and/or in inverted commas may mean:

a) A topic (health, music, law, etc.), not consulted with professionals. Consequently, it's subject to change.

b) Something that needs to be completed.


The story will probably not be understood because it's an automatic translation.




WINTER

CÓRDOBA, CÓRDOBA, ARGENTINA


INT. SCHOOL/CLASSROOM - AFTERNOON


BUSTLE. Almost full of students. A professor (50) is sitting in front of a desk, reading and checking pages in a folder. Around her are all her things. The blackboard has written activities, but most of the students remain distracted. ZOE SMITH (19), is sitting at a desk/bench, bored. THREE GIRLS (17), behind her, talk quietly. Number 3 is chewing gum. Zoe listens to them without flinching.


GIRL 1

Axel was rumoured to fuck like the gods.


GIRL 2

Yes, they said he was a stallion, too bad he's already graduated.


GIRL 3

Oh I don't know girls, I'll find him and do something with my mouth that I'll never forget. Best of all, the lapdog, ex four-eyed, low IQ, didn't touch a hair on his head.


The three girls laugh. Girl 3 takes the chewing gum out of her mouth and throws it in Zoe's hair. All three laugh quietly. Zoe hides her anger. She sharpens a pencil, making it sharp. THE BELL RINGS. Class ends and the students begin to put things away.


PROFESSOR

Do the exercises. See you next week.


Zoe puts her things away. The last thing is the pencil case. She closes it, leaving the pencil out.



INT. SCHOOL/CORRIDOR - CONTINUOUS


Zoe walks behind girls 1, 2, and 3. They talk and laugh, not noticing Zoe following them. The three of them go into the bathroom.



INT. SCHOOL/BATHROOM - CONTINUOUS


Inside is a girl washing her hands. Girl 3 hands her backpack to girl 2 and enters a cubicle. Girls 1 and 2, in front of the mirror, fix their make-up and hair. The girl who was washing her hands comes out. Zoe enters and approaches the mirror. With difficulty, she begins to remove the chewing gum from her hair. Girls 1 and 2 ignore her.


GIRL 1

We're waiting for you outside.


GIRL 3

Ok.


Zoe throws the gum in the bin and washes her hands. Girl 3 DROPS THE CHAIN and leaves the cubicle, ignoring Zoe. She starts to take the rings off her hand. One falls to the floor. She crouches down, squatting, one hand on the counter of the bachas, as a support. Zoe pulls the pencil out of her sleeve and jabs it into the back of her hand. Girl 3 screams. Zoe puts her index finger in her mouth, silencing her. Blood gushes from her hand. Girl 3 cries silently.


ZOE

I lied, because otherwise, of all the things I've done, none of them compare to the suffering I have planned for you. And just so you know, Axel's favourite sex is vaginal.



EXT. STREET/SIDE SCHOOL - CONTINUOUS


A car with tinted windows is parked on one of the school's side streets. Zoe walks up to it and gets in.


EXT-INT. STREET/SIDE SCHOOL/AXEL CAR - CONTINUOUS


Inside the car is AXEL HEMMER (19).


AXEL

How did it go?


Zoe looks at him somewhat annoyed.


AXEL (CONT’D)

Who was the victim?


Zoe looks ahead.


AXEL (CONT’D)

I told you to study. It's ridiculous to stay in sixth grade. Especially when you had the second highest average after me.

(pause)

I'm no longer here to share the blame.


He starts the car and they drive off.



EXT-INT. STREET/AXEL CAR - CONTINUOUS


Axel drives. He parks the car halfway down the block.


ZOE

I was the victim and you know it.


Zoe angrily gets out of the car and walks quickly to the corner. She crosses the street and continues to the end of the next block. Axel watches her, regretful and apologetic. He picks up his mobile phone and types. He puts it down and watches Zoe enter his house. He looks at the time on his wristwatch and gestures, as if he has to wait a while.



INT. ZOE HOUSE/LIVING ROOM - CONTINUOUS


Zoe thoughtfully crosses the living room towards the kitchen. Halfway across, she sees the TV ON and her sisters CELINA SMITH (15) and DANIELA SMITH (12) sitting in a three-piece armchair, watching. They both wave at her, smiling and still watching TV. MARCELA (50), a maid, is finishing cleaning the decorations on a piece of furniture.


ZOE

Hello Celi, hello Dani.


CELINA

Hello.


DANIELA

Hello Zoe.


Zoe looks at Marcela.


ZOE

Marcela.


Marcela looks at Zoe, smiling, still cleaning.


MARCELA

How is it going?


ZOE

Good.


A black cat, HEFESTO, appears in the room, approaching Zoe.


ZOE

Hefesto!


Zoe picks him up and caresses him. Zoe's mother, EVANGELINA (40), enters the living room from the kitchen, smoking. Marcela leaves.


EVANGELINA

Are you coming home from school or from doing your chupina?


ZOE

The character of the worried mother doesn't suit you.


Zoe puts the cat down.


EVANGELINA

Donkeys ruin a family's image. Learn from your sisters, they have excellent grades. I couldn't be a lawyer, but you're going to be one sooner or later.


Zoe looks at Evangelina for a few seconds and climbs the stairs.



EXT-INT. STREET/AXEL CAR - NIGHT


Axel starts to move forward, from the middle of the block. He crosses the street and continues to the next mid-block, diagonal to Zoe house. He climbs up the pavement to the garage, opens it and enters.



INT. AXEL HOUSE/KITCHEN-DINING ROOM - CONTINUOUS


On the counter are four bags of groceries. Axel is sitting on a chair in front of the table, chomping on an apple. He remains pensive. HORACIO HEMMER (40), Axel's father, enters the kitchen-dining room.


HORACIO

Where have you been?


AXEL

At the university. Afterwards, I went to the supermarket.


HORACIO

Are you kidding me, you think I don't notice that you're late every day?


AXEL

I did the shopping, that's all.


HORACIO

That's what we pay Angela for.


AXEL

Is it wrong to help her?


Axel stands up and walks to the bin. He throws away the apple waste.


HORACIO

You think you're alive, don't you? I'm telling you one more time, don't call me an asshole, because if you don't- -


Axel turns around.


AXEL

Why else what?



INT. AXEL HOUSE/UPPER FLOOR/CORRIDOR - CONTINUOUS


JULIÁN HEMMER (17), Axel's brother, is hidden behind one of the staircase walls, listening to the conversation. Julian smiles, slightly. Noticing that the conversation is over, he quickly disappears.



INT. AXEL HOUSE/KITCHEN-DINING ROOM - CONTINUOUS


In the same position, Axel and Horacio look at each other for a few seconds. Axel withdraws, very angry.



INT. AXEL HOUSE/LIVING ROOM - CONTINUOUS


Axel, very angry, walks quickly from the kitchen-dining room towards the stairs. At the same time, VIRGINIA ALCORTA (40), Axel's mother, enters from the front door. She watches Axel climb the stairs and gets worried. She quickly closes the door.


VIRGINIA

Axel.


Axel ignores Virginia, who takes a few steps towards the stairs.


VIRGINIA (CONT’D)

Axel!


Axel reaches the top of the stairs, disappearing upper floor. Virginia stares upwards in thought. A NOISE is heard in the kitchen/dining room. She looks over, sighing in frustration, as if she knows what has happened.



INT. ZOE HOUSE/UPPER FLOOR/ZOE BEDROOM - NIGHT


Darkness. Zoe is lying in bed. Her face is LIGHTED BY THE CELL PHONE SCREEN. Zoe opens and reads a message from Axel.


AXEL: "FORGIVENESS"

ZOE: "FORGIVENESS

AXEL: "NEITHER SAINTS NOR MONSTERS. WE ARE HUMANLY..."

ZOE: "HUMANS"



INT. UNIVERSITY/FACULTY/CLASSROOM - AFTERNOON


Almost full of students. Axel is sitting at a desk, while the teacher (55) passes around the slides, explaining the subject.


PROFESSOR

So, "explain a topic"....


The teacher stops talking due to problems getting through the next slide. Axel looks down at his bench, absent-mindedly. On it is a notebook with notes and a booklet with the following printed on the top margin: "LETRAS CLÁSICAS - LENGUA Y CULTURA GRIEGAS I - 2020 - PRIMER QUATRIMESTRE - PROF. SANCHEZ". Axel stops at some words written on the desk. The teacher resumes the exposition, but Axel ignores him and runs a bit the notebook and booklet to read the complete sentence: "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional". Buddha



EXT-INT. STREET/AXEL CAR - CONTINUOUS


The car is parked, with Zoe and Axel inside.


AXEL

Within forty-eight hours.


ZOE

Are you going?


AXEL

It's unavoidable.


They remain silent for a few minutes in thought.


ZOE

I can only think of one thing. It's difficult, I know, but....


AXEL

Believe me, I also want to go somewhere else. The situation is getting more and more unbearable. Every day I wonder what it will be like to live without this shit.


They are silent for a few seconds. Zoe smiles sadly.


ZOE

Sleepless nights know it. The moon is always there, listening to our desire for a home, because...


AXEL

We have everything and nothing.



INT. ZOE HOUSE/KITCHEN-DINING ROOM - CONTINUOUS


Zoe, sitting in a chair at the table, drinks coffee while using her mobile phone. In front of her, Evangelina, while using a notebook, lights a cigarette. Evangelina does not take her eyes off the notebook.


EVANGELINA

The Hemmers invited us to celebrate the anniversary of their company. It seems that the competition wants to keep things formal.


Zoe ignores her.


EVANGELINA (CONT’D)

They're also celebrating a partnership with another company.


Evangelina makes a gesture, as if dismissing the association or as if it weren't important.


EVANGELINA (CONT’D)

I found out about the new partner. I found out that he has a daughter and a son, dabbling in politics. You should seek to be his girlfriend, that would weaken the union and might give us some benefits.

(pause)

Just don't take it to bed the same day.


ZOE

Don't bother me mum.


Evangelina looks at Zoe, who continues, her eyes on her mobile phone.


EVANGELINA

I know you're seeing Axel on the sly and I told you not to do that anymore.


Zoe stops drinking coffee and using her mobile phone.


ZOE

(loud voice)

Stop telling me what I should or shouldn't do.


Zoe stands up, picking up the cup and her mobile phone. She walks to the door. At the door she bumps into RAFAEL SMITH (50), her father. Zoe is on the outside and Rafael is on the inside.


RAFAEL

Don't talk to your mother like that, apologise to her.


ZOE

I've been doing it since I was born.


RAFAEL

Apologise.


EVANGELINA

(loud voice)

It's the day after tomorrow. The hairdresser comes and, at the manicurist's, ask her to paint your nails in a pastel shade.


Zoe storms off.



INT. ZOE HOUSE/UPPER FLOOR/ZOE BEDROOM - AFTERNOON


Zoe, in a dressing gown and wet hair, is sitting on the end of the bed, staring into nothingness. On the bed, too, is Hephaestus. Evangelina opens the door without knocking. In one hand she holds a hanger with a dress covered by a transparent sheath. At the sight of Zoe she smiles.


EVANGELINA

I bought you a dress.


Zoe doesn't look at her.


ZOE

Doors have a function.


He gets up and walks over to Evangelina.


EVANGELINA

Despite the fact that we were invited on the date not to go, I spent this short time buying clothes for everyone.


Zoe picks up the hanger. As she does so, Evangelina looks at her nails, which are painted red.


ZOE

Dad, do you consult him - -


EVANGELINA

That's why I spent the most on you, even though you don't deserve it. The hairdresser, manicurist and make-up artist are coming.


Evangelina leaves, smiling. Zoe stares at the corridor wall opposite. She closes the door with a HANDLE. Zoe looks at the dress with distaste. She throws it on the bed. She goes to the wardrobe, opens it and starts going through the clothes until she chooses one: a long black jumpsuit. She takes it down, looks at it and leaves it on the bed. She goes to the bathroom.



INT. ZOE HOUSE/UPPER FLOOR/ZOE BEDROOM/BATHROOM ZOE - CONTINUOUS


Zoe gets her hair and make-up done.



INT. ZOE HOUSE/UPPER FLOOR/ZOE BEDROOM - CONTINUOUS


Zoe puts on her jumpsuit, black high sandals, necklace, bracelets, earrings, rings, perfume and a small black party bag. She looks in the mirror, caresses Hephaestus, opens the door and goes out.



INT. PARTY HALL/BUSINESS COCKTAIL PARTY - EVENING


SETTING OF THE COMPANY'S FIFTIETH ANNIVERSARY. BULLICIO. It's almost full. People are chatting, eating and drinking. Some waiters carry trays with drinks, others with snacks. Zoe, Celina and Daniela are in the middle on the right side. Zoe holds a glass. Behind and between Zoe and Celina is Evangelina.


EVANGELINA

The one on the left is Diego, your target. Don't be obvious.


Zoe looks at DIEGO COLOMBO (25), son of the new partner, who is talking to two men, ahead, to the left. Evangelina leaves.


CELINA

She isn't mad because you wore overalls, but because you look prettier than her and you're younger.


Zoe looks at Celina. She adjusts a strap, touches her shoulder affectionately and they smile. Zoe looks ahead, to the right, where Axel is. She walks towards him confidently, looking around distractedly.


AXEL

I regret the invitation. He didn't tell me anything.


Zoe looks at Axel with a smile.


ZOE

Congratulations.


Zoe makes a gesture with her glass.


AXEL

Do you do it on purpose?


ZOE

My mum would say it's a formality.


Axel observes the people around him.


AXEL

Everyone is looking at you.


ZOE

Is that good or bad?


Axel makes a gesture of not knowing.


AXEL

I would be jealous if you were with someone.


They look at each other for a few seconds. Horacio, in the front, in the middle, takes the microphone. Next to him is his wife, Virginia, followed by their son Julián. The guests begin to fall silent.


HORACIO

Hello, hello, good evening.


SILENCE. Everyone turns their attention to Horacio.


HORACIO (CONT’D)

First of all, thank you all for coming. As you know "company name" is fifty years old today. I can say without mincing words that Virginia, my wife, gave me the most sensible gift a human being can give, trust. Her great-grandfather founded this great company and, grandfather and father, placed their future in me. That is why today I thank her and all of you by announcing that "company name"....

(pause)

It has been associated with "company name".


The guests clap and cheer. Rafael and Evangelina applaud and smile falsely. Horacio, smiling, gestures for GUSTAVO COLOMBO (50), a new member, to approach.


HORACIO

Gustavo, please.


Horacio hands her the microphone and pulls Virginia to him. Evangelina looks disgusted at the gesture. She quickly changes her expression, pretending to be fine. Gustavo, accompanied by his wife, puts one of his arms around Horacio's shoulders.


GUSTAVO

I'm very happy to have Horacio as a partner, a great person. Joining forces with such a prestigious company makes me very grateful. I have nothing more to say, happy birthday "company name"!


Horacio and Gustavo hug and pat each other on the back. A photographer positions himself to take a picture of them. Diego and his sister, JIMENA COLOMBO (20), join in. Horacio looks for Axel. He finds Axel and Zoe together, who are looking at him. Horatio looks at them in disgust. Quickly, he changes his expression, pretending not to. Axel walks towards them. The moment Axel joins them, he slips one of his arms around both of Axel's shoulders. Axel awkwardly moves to shake him off, but Horacio holds on tighter. Once they are all settled, the photographer takes the picture. A waiter stops in front of Zoe and puts the empty glass on the tray. Axel walks towards her, but halfway there he is overtaken by Jimena.


JIMENA

So now we're going to be almost family.


Jimena smiles.


JIMENA (CONT’D)

I'm Jimena.


Jimena greets Axel with a kiss on the cheek. Zoe watches from afar as Axel and Jimena talk. She walks to the empty bar, while being watched by Axel. Sitting down, she takes an alcoholic drink. Seconds after finishing the glass, Diego approaches, holding a glass.


DIEGO

Zoe.


Zoe nods without looking at Diego.


DIEGO (CONT’D)

Diego.


Diego sits down, stool in between.


DIEGO (CONT’D)

Boring?


ZOE

Some.


DIEGO

Your mum has told me wonderful things about you, I can tell she loves you.


Zoe squeezes the glass, slightly. She looks at Diego.


ZOE

Yes, we get along well.


DIEGO

And... what do you do? Do you study?


ZOE

Right.


Diego smiles.


DIEGO

A, look, I studied the same thing.


Zoe makes a gesture, denoting an urge to urinate.


ZOE

I have to go to the toilet.


Diego makes a nonchalant gesture. Zoe gets up and walks towards the front door. After a few steps, she looks at Axel, who continues talking to Jimena. Axel looks at Zoe for a few seconds. Zoe leaves the room.



EXT. PARTY HALL PARK/SITE/FRONT MAIN DOOR - CONTINUOUS


At the front there are a few small groups of people smoking, drinking and talking. Zoe watches them for a few seconds. Then she looks over her shoulder to the back, where the door is. She walks, discreetly, to the side of the room, where there is LESS LIGHT.



INT. PARTY HALL - CONTINUOUS


Axel leaves Jimena and walks towards the door. Evangelina and Horacio look at him and then glance at each other.



EXT. PARTY HALL/SITE/FRONT-SIDE MAIN DOOR - CONTINUOUS

Axel walks out of the room and looks around, searching for Zoe. He spots her just as she rounds the room. He follows her discreetly. Zoe slows down. Axel appears from behind.


AXEL

Are you OK?


ZOE

I needed to breathe.


Zoe closes the distance and kisses Axel.


ZOE (CONT’D)

Don't be jealous of anyone.


Axel tries to kiss Zoe, but sees Julian standing behind him, far away. Zoe scrutinizes Axel's face, worried. She turns around and sees Julian.


AXEL

I'll take care of it.


Julian walks away and Axel follows behind, catching up with him.


AXEL (CONT’D)

Please- -


Julián stops abruptly.


JULIÁN

I am not going to tell Dad, but I'm not going to forget it either.


Julián continues walking towards the front door of the hall. Axel looks tired and frustrated.



INT. ZOE HOUSE/UPPER FLOOR/ZOE BEDROOM - AFTERNOON


Zoe's desk has a notebook on, a highlighted notebook and a closed rivadavia folder. Zoe is sitting down. On her lap she has several buckled photocopies. In one hand, two rivadavia sheets and, in the other, a highlighter. She reads what one of the sheets in her hand says. Then he reads the photocopy and highlights it. The door to the room remains ajar. Evangelina appears in the doorway.


EVANGELINA

You did everything you didn't have to do.


Zoe continues to read and highlight.


ZOE

And?


EVANGELINA

You and your crazy pro-independence ideas are going to ruin you and, worst of all, you are going to ruin a company, this family.


Zoe stops reading and highlighting, but keeps her eyes glued to the sheets and photocopies.


EVANGELINA (CONT’D)

Your little friend Axel is filling your head with nonsense. I knew it was a mistake to send you to the same school, but Rafael insisted, insisted, insisted, again and again, on the best education.


Zoe looks at Evangelina.


ZOE

You always criticise the achievements of others. That's why you hate Axel and his family, they are better than you and you can't stand it. You disguise yourself as a good person and, inside, you're eaten up by envy. Your hypocrisy knows no bounds.


EVANGELINA

Thanks to her you have a roof over your head and food. You never worked, you don't know what life is, so learn to be more considerate.


ZOE

That shows how incompetent you are.


EVANGELINA

You think your morals are superior to mine, rest assured, time will prove me right.


Evangelina leaves. Zoe, pensive and angry, looks at nothing. After a few seconds, she leaves the photocopies, sheets of paper and highlighter on the desk. She turns off the notebook and looks underneath the notebook and folder for something. She finds the house keys, gets up and walks quickly to the door.



INT. ZOE HOUSE/LIVING ROOM - CONTINUOUS


Zoe comes down the stairs very quickly. She opens the front door and exits.



EXT. STREET/FIRST STORY FRONT ELENA HOUSE - CONTINUOUS


Zoe walks for about ten blocks, deep in thought. It starts to RAIN. Axel drives down the same street as Zoe, but in the opposite direction. When he sees her, he pulls over, stopping. He opens the passenger door.


AXEL

(shouts)

Zoe!


Zoe doesn't look at him, she continues walking. Axel hastily parks the car in front of Elena's house. He gets out and quickly follows Zoe.


AXEL (CONT’D)

(loud voice)

Zoe, Zoe.


Axel catches up with Zoe and walks beside her.


AXEL (CONT’D)

Where are you going? It's late.


Zoe doesn't stop and Axel grabs her arm.


AXEL (CONT’D)

Look at me, it's me.


Zoe sees him, but her gaze is lost. Axel scrutinises her face.


AXEL (CONT’D)

Unload on me, say what you want, but don't ignore me.


Zoe looks at Axel for a few seconds. She recognises him and kisses him. Axel takes her hand and they walk to the car. When Axel puts his hand on the passenger door handle, Zoe stops him from opening it.


ZOE

I don't want to go home.


They look at each other for a few seconds. He opens the back door and gets into the car. Axel, a moment later, does the same.



EXT-INT. STREET/AXEL CAR - NIGHT


IT RAINS. In the back seats, Zoe climbs on top of Axel and they kiss. Zoe takes off her top and they kiss. As they do so, Axel removes her bra and runs his hands all over her torso. Axel takes off her top and they kiss. Simultaneously, Zoe unbuttons Axel's trousers and helps him take them off. Zoe makes a move, as if she intends to perform oral sex on him, but Axel stops her.


AXEL

(low voice)

I want to be inside you.


Zoe looks at him as if she remembers and smiles, slightly. Axel helps Zoe remove her clothes from underneath. Axel grabs a condom, hidden in a nook of the car.


ZOE

I take contraceptives and you are healthy.


Axel looks at her, as if it doesn't matter what she said. She puts it on, without showing herself, and they have sex. The act has two aspects. On the one hand, there is lust, the carnal and the absence of love. On the other, it resembles a veneration of each other, with delicacy, respect, the sublime and admiration reigning. As he finishes, Axel looks at Zoe, tucking strands of hair behind her ears.


AXEL

(low voice)

You're...

(whisper)

Everything I have.


ZOE

(whisper)

And everything I want.


They kiss.



INT. AXEL HOUSE/UPPER FLOOR/AXEL BEDROOM - CONTINUOUS


THE ROOM IS ILLUMINATED ONLY BY THE CLOUDY PURPLE/VIOLET/PURPLE SKY. Axel looks out of the open window at the sky, as if enjoying it very much. He picks up his mobile phone and sends a message to Zoe.


AXEL: "ARE YOU LOOKING AT THE SKY?"

ZOE: "YES"

AXEL: "IT WAS DYED IN OUR COLOUR"

ZOE: "THE MOST REAL SECONDARY SCHOOL"


Axel looks at the sky, carefully.


AXEL: "GOOD EVENING"

ZOE: "GOOD EVENING"



INT. ZOE HOUSE/UPPER FLOOR/ZOE BEDROOM - MORNING


Zoe sleeps. CELL PHONE VIBRATES under her pillow. Zoe wakes up and picks up the mobile phone. She opens the messages.


"UNREGISTERED NUMBER": "HELLO, HOW ARE YOU? THIS IS DIEGO" - "I WANTED TO INVITE YOU TO DINNER, SINCE WE DIDN'T GET TO TALK MUCH AT THE PARTY" - "WOULD YOU LIKE TO? "


Zoe looks thoughtful. She grips her forehead tightly, as if she has realised something. She looks at the screen and the ceiling twice, intermittently. She closes her eyes.


ZOE: "HELLO, YES HIT IT" - "WHEN SHALL WE GET TOGETHER?"


"UNREGISTERED NUMBER": "THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW YOU CAN?"


Zoe looks at the ceiling.


ZOE: "YES"

DIEGO: "PERFECT, I'LL PICK YOU UP AT 20 O'CLOCK"


Zoe, annoyed, drops the arm with the mobile phone to the side of the bed.



INT. AXEL HOUSE/KITCHEN/DINING ROOM - EVENING


Axel's family has lunch. Horacio sits at the head of the table. To his left is Evangelina, followed by Julián and, to his right, Axel. Horacio eats with great eagerness, while Axel eats quietly. Horacio turns to Axel.


HORACIO

Did they agree to meet with Jimena?


Axel stops eating and looks at Horacio.


AXEL

No.


HORACIO

Why not? I told you to reach out to her.


AXEL

I'm going to do it.


HORACIO

When? When Zoe gets out of the way? She doesn't understand, considering how many times she got you in trouble and how ignorant she is.

(pause)

I invited them to see how superior I'm to them and they accepted only to beg for a little attention from Diego. I didn't imagine it.


AXEL

Greed has made you a bigot, an authoritarian, you think you know everything, but you know nothing. We got into trouble and the ignorance is yours.


HORACIO

You aren't aware of what you carry on your back.

(pause)

"Company name" is the company that your great-grandfather founded with a lot of hard work and effort. Tomorrow you're going to be in my place, which is why you're studying what I'm studying, accounting and business administration. If you carry on like that, with that carefree attitude, the world is going to take you away and, when that happens, you're going to come to me begging on your knees.


AXEL

I'd rather have nothing than be like you.


HORACIO

(shouts)

Enough!


Virginia looks at Axel kindly, as if trying to reassure him.


VIRGINIA

Son, listen to your father. Maybe, his ways are not the right ones. He only wants your good and that of the family, don't doubt it.


AXEL

Don't talk to me mum, you're an accomplice in all this.


Julián and Axel look at each other for a few seconds. Axel gets up and leaves the kitchen-dining room.



INT. AXEL HOUSE/LIVING ROOM - CONTINUOUS


Axel, furious, walks towards the bathroom. HIS MOBILE PHONE VIBRATES. He takes it out of his pocket, looks at the screen without stopping walking: "INCOMING CALL" from an "UNKNOWN NUMBER". He answers the call.


CALL START


AXEL

Hello?


JIMENA (OFF, FROM THE CELL PHONE)

Hi, it's Jimena!


Axel, more annoyed and unresponsive, almost made it to the bathroom.


THE CALL CONTINUES



INT. AXEL HOUSE/BATHROOM - CONTINUOUS


THE CALL CONTINUES


Axel enters the bathroom and closes the door.


JIMENA (OFF, FROM THE CELL PHONE)

(concerned voice)

Hello? Axel? It's Jimena Colombo, from the party.


Axel leans against the door, shaking his head, as if trying to control his anger.


AXEL

Yes, I'm here, what are you doing?


JIMENA

I have tickets for the cinema and I thought we could go, what do you think?

Axel looks at different parts of the bathroom.


AXEL

When would it be?


JIMENA

(cheerful voice)

This Tuesday.


Axel looks at the floor.


AXEL

See you on Tuesday.


JIMENA (OFF)

(very cheerful voice)

Yes! Later I'll tell you where and we'll arrange it.


Axel hangs up.


END CALL


Axel lowers the toilet seat, sits down and shakes his head in thought. He picks up his mobile again and sends a message to Zoe.


AXEL: "I NEED TO SEE YOU"

ZOE: "ME TOO"

AXEL: "IN AN HOUR. IN THE SAME PLACE AS ALWAYS, DOWN THE OTHER BLOCK"

ZOE: "OK"



INT. ZOE HOUSE/LIVING ROOM - CONTINUOUS


Zoe crosses the living room from the stairs to the door, carrying a rucksack on her back. Evangelina approaches, smoking.


EVANGELINA

Where are you going, daughter?


Zoe stops and responds without looking at her.


ZOE

I go to a colleague's house for group work.


Zoe continues walking, opens the door and goes out.



INT. AXEL HOUSE/LIVING ROOM - CONTINUOUS


Axel closes the rucksack, on the large armchair, in desperation. Julian appears, unnoticed by Axel. Axel puts the rucksack on his back and takes a few steps towards the door.


JULIÁN

Doing business on a Sunday?


Axel doesn't stop. He grabs the doorknob and looks at Julián.


AXEL

I have to do a school project with other kids.


Julián laughs, falsely.


JULIÁN

Of course.


Axel, annoyed, opens the door and leaves.



EXT. STREET - CONTINUOUS


Zoe is standing on a street corner. Axel car pulls up and stops. Zoe opens the door, takes off her backpack and climbs in. The car drives off, across town.



EXT. STREET/FRONT HOTEL - CONTINUOUS


The car stops in front of a high-class hotel. They get out of the car with their backpacks and enter the hotel.



INT. HOTEL/RECEPTION - CONTINUOUS


Axel and Zoe are alone in front of the receptionist (30), who is always friendly and smiling. Axel looks hurried and impatient. In one hand he holds a wad of money.


RECEPTIONIST

Hello, good afternoon.


AXEL

Hello.


RECEPTIONIST

What is on offer?


AXEL

One room for two.


The receptionist looks at Axel, Zoe and Axel.


RECEPTIONIST

May I have your documents?


Axel and Zoe quickly reach into their backpacks and hand them over. The receptionist checks them.


RECEPTIONIST (CONT’D)

Right, well, we have different types of double rooms. The standard room is equipped with a - -


AXEL

We want a bed for one night.


The receptionist nods and types on the computer. Zoe hands Axel a wad of silver.


RECEPTIONIST

Are $"amount", in cas - -


Axel counts all the money, quickly, and hands it over. She counts it again. She types into the computer. She looks for a key card and hands it to Axel, along with the documents.


RECEPTIONIST

Room number "X", floor number "X". Enjoy.


Axel nods and grabs the key.


AXEL AND ZOE

Thank you.


Axel takes Zoe by the hand and they walk to the lifts. Zoe touches the button, they wait and enter.



INT. HOTEL/ROOM - CONTINUOUS


Axel and Zoe enter and close the door, desperately. Axel pulls Zoe against the door, kissing her. They walk to the bed, undressing quickly and roughly, still kissing. They lie on the bed, Axel on top of Zoe.



INT. HOTEL/ROOM - NIGHT


Axel and Zoe lie on their backs, covered up to their waists by the sheet. They stare at the ceiling. Axel turns on his side and looks at Zoe's profile.


AXEL

I'm going out with Jimena.

(pause)

The day after tomorrow.


ZOE

Me too, with Diego.


AXEL

I imagined it.


ZOE

Did your dad ask you?


AXEL

Yes, I didn't listen to her. And, although I was subtly polite, she still asked for my number and called.


ZOE

I acted similarly, except that Diego magically got my number.


Zoe turns on her side, facing Axel.


ZOE (CONT’D)

I don't understand why they have always wanted to involve us in their hatred and separate us.


Axel takes Zoe's hand, interlacing his fingers.


AXEL

Since I was four years old, every time I am with you, I feel different... calm and confident.


ZOE

You're the only person who gives me calm and comfort.



INT. AXEL HOUSE/LIVING ROOM - SUNRISE


Axel enters the house and sees Julián. He looks at him, lying on the couch, in his school uniform.


AXEL

Leaving already?


JULIÁN

Did they have enough time to finish the job?


Axel heads for the stairs, ignoring him.


JULIÁN (CONT’D)

Just Zoe, too, left yesterday and arrived today, before you, like almost every day, it's weird, isn't it?


Axel stands, climbing the stairs.


JULIÁN (CONT’D)

Although I'm the one who tells Dad, I always tell him it's a coincidence, despite what I saw recently.


Axel slows his ascent to a halt. At the same time, he gradually clenches his fists.


JULIÁN (CONT’D)

You still haven't asked the price of my silence.


Axel responds without looking at Julian.


AXEL

I am not going to do it.


JULIÁN

Better, because it doesn't, it's a matter of time. I will decide the timing. Your favourite son's shield is falling.


Axel, angry, looks at Julián, who smiles at him.


AXEL

You're lying, I have nothing.


Julián sits up, sitting down in the armchair.


JULIÁN

You never did what Dad told you to do.


AXEL

Stop meddling in my life.


JULIÁN

Everyone wants a life like ours so badly, and you reject it?


AXEL

Yes, I reject hypocrisy and bad treatment. I hate being told what to do and what not to do, do you like it? I'm glad. I don't.


JULIÁN

I love this life and I don't want to lose it, even if they don't remember me. It's always you, did Axel leave, did Axel eat, did Axel come back? Everything is by and for you. So yes, I obey. I don't count on your hated privilege.


Axel resumes his ascent.



INT. AXEL HOUSE/LIVING - EVENING


Axel walks through the living room from the staircase into the kitchen/dining room. Simultaneously, Angela enters from the corridor.


ÁNGELA

Axel.


Axel stops halfway. Angela finishes approaching Axel. She gently rests her hand on his forearm.


ÁNGELA (CONT’D)

Your dad is waiting for you in his office.


Axel nods and walks in the direction of the corridor.



INT. AXEL HOUSE/CORRIDOR - CONTINUOUS


Axel enters from the living room towards Horatio's office. When he arrives, he knocks on the door.


HORACIO (OFF, FROM INSIDE)

Come in.



INT. AXEL HOUSE/HORACIO OFFICE - CONTINUOUS


Axel opens the door, enters and closes it. Horacio is sitting in front of the desk, writing. On it are folders, books, sheets of paper and a computer. A few seconds later, he stops writing.


HORACIO

Sit down.


Axel folds his arms, standing upright.


HORACIO (CONT’D)

This afternoon, you were early.

(pause)

I'm very happy to hear that you're going out with Jimena tomorrow. When I was about to invite Gustavo and his wife and children to lunch, he told me. I'm surprised... so I backed out.

(pause)

She is pretty, nice and respectful, act the same way. Together they will perpetrate a strong and solid image, because look what I am.


Horacio makes a grand gesture.


HORACIO (CONT’D)

Everything I have achieved with my talent and brilliance is...


AXEL

To be admired.


HORACIO

Of course, I'm better than you! Virginia's grandfather and father had different visions of life, which gradually alienated them and affected the company. On the other hand, we, even if you don't see it and if you continue on the path of good, are going to stay together until the end, or are you going to leave me alone, sad and abandoned in a nursing home?


Axel shakes his head.


HORACIO (CONT’D)

No! Of course not!


Horacio laughs.


HORACIO (CONT’D)

Besides, it is a long way off.


Horacio laughs. Suddenly, he stops and looks thoughtful. He looks at Axel.


HORACIO (CONT’D)

You can leave.


Axel turns, opens the door and leaves.



INT. RESTAURANT - EVENING


Zoe and Diego are seated at a table for two, each reading their cards.


DIEGO

It's a nice place to unwind.


Diego looks at her, as if waiting for an answer, but Zoe doesn't take her eyes off the letter. Diego leaves his letter on the table.


DIEGO (CONT’D)

I wanted to apologise if I made you uncomfortable last time.


Zoe looks at Diego.


ZOE

No, no, you didn't make me uncomfortable, I just felt a bit bad.


Diego nods and smiles.


DIEGO

I suppose you're wondering how I got your number.


Zoe does not answer. The waiter (55) arrives.


WAITER

What would you like to order?


Diego gestures for Zoe to respond first. Zoe looks at the letter and then at the waiter, responding politely.


ZOE

Neapolitan-style Milanese.


WAITER

You?


Zoe leaves the letter on the table.


DIEGO

"Name of a gourmet meal".


WAITER

And to drink?


DIEGO

"Name of a wine, according to the dish you chose".


The waiter looks at Zoe.


ZOE

The same.


The waiter nods, smiles, removes the cards and leaves.


DIEGO

After our brief meeting, I talked for a while with Rafael about the business world, politics and... about your future studies. I told him I'm a lawyer, so he gave me your number so I could help you with the admission and coursework.

(pause)

Your parents seemed interested in something else and, apparently, you were not. Considering this and my desire to conduct business of my own, a deal between the two of us would be beneficial.

(pause)

If you have me on your side, I assure you of an early graduation, a job and, in the short term, an unhindered income. I offer your family protection.


ZOE

In exchange for what?


DIEGO

In exchange for half of the company, at first. Sooner or later we're all going to win, don't you think?



INT. CINEMA/ROOM - CONTINUOUS


Axel and Jimena are sitting, watching a film. THE FILM SHOWS ITS FINAL SCENE, MOVING ON TO THE CREDITS.



INT. RESTAURANT - CONTINUOUS


Zoe and Diego have their respective plates served. Diego eats. Zoe looks thoughtfully at her untouched plate. She watches Diego eat. He picks up the glass and drinks.


ZOE

I have to go now.


Zoe stands up.


DIEGO

Soon, you didn't eat anything.


Zoe grabs her rucksack/bandolier.


DIEGO (CONT’D)

I look forward to a response.


ZOE

The answer is no.


Zoe leaves and Diego looks angry.



EXT. STREET/FRONT CINEMA - CONTINUOUS


Jimena and Axel leave the cinema and walk a few metres.


JIMENA

I loved it! It was really funny, did you see the friend's reaction?


Axel nods without paying attention.


JIMENA (CONT’D)

What do you think about going for a drink? Or we can go to my place to talk about some things and finalise others.


Axel stops and Jimena imitates him. Axel looks at her.


AXEL

Jimena... I don't know if you want friendship or something else, you're not going to get any. I tried to make it clear to you the night we met and I don't care about the bond between our parents.


JIMENA

Don't go on. I thought you cared.


Axel nods and makes a gesture, implying that he has nothing more to do there. He moves a few metres away.


JIMENA (CONT’D)

Appearances can be deceiving.


Axel turns and they look at each other for a few seconds. Jimena turns and walks in the opposite direction to Axel. Axel continues walking, reaches the corner and crosses the street. He stops, takes his mobile phone out of his pocket, types and holds it to his ear. Zoe walks in a hurry, HIS CELL PHONE BEEPS. She reaches into her backpack/bag. She pulls it out without looking at it.


ZOE

I'm coming.


Zoe cuts and picks up the pace. Axel waits in the corner, looking around. Minutes later, they see each other. Zoe quickly crosses the street. They watch the street, looking for a taxi. A man (50), blind, stops on the corner to cross. They both help him. They go back and get a taxi.



EXT-INT. STREET/FRONT OF HOTEL/TAXI - CONTINUOUS


The taxi stops in front of the hotel where Axel and Zoe were staying earlier. They both pay, get out and enter the hotel.



INT. HOTEL/ROOM - MORNING


Axel is in his underwear, leaning against the back of the bed, legs bent and crossed. In the middle of the bed is the breakfast tray. Zoe is on the other side, in her underwear, face down, elbows on the mattress, hands holding her face. Axel eats bits of fruit, staring at the tray.


AXEL

What do you want?


ZOE

Fruit.


Axel pokes a piece of fruit with his fork and puts it in Zoe's mouth.


ZOE (CONT’D)

How did it go with Jimena?


AXEL

I told him the truth.


Zoe nods.


AXEL (CONT’D)

You?


ZOE

It wasn't my mum. The number was given to her by my dad. Other than that, I lost what little hope I had left. I thought Diego's only intention was to have sex, but it wasn't. He intended an exchange of favours. He intended an exchange of favours.


AXEL

Jimena was also no exception.

(pause)

My brother told me I am the favourite son... and, as I suspected, he has been telling father about us. He's going to tell him all about it when he feels like it.


Zoe is very concerned.


AXEL (CONT’D)

To be different from them becomes so difficult....


They remain silent for a few seconds.


ZOE

Do you remember when we used to have fun alone or with friends? Holding on wasn't a problem.


Zoe shows herself, as if remembering with nostalgia. Axel nods, slowly, a couple of times, as if remembering in the same way.


ZOE (CONT’D)

We could do to ourselves what we once thought.


AXEL

Starts with t?


Zoe sits up and Axel stretches out his legs. Zoe slides the tray to her feet. Axel spreads his legs a little and Zoe sits between them, with her legs towards the back of the bed. Zoe smiles.


ZOE

Yes.


Axel smiles and they kiss.



INT. TATTOO PARLOUR - CONTINUOUS


Tattoo machine on. First Zoe gets tattooed, then Axel. The tattooist performs the work, but it is not shown where on the body it is done or what it consists of.



INT. ZOE HOUSE/LIVING ROOM - MORNING


Evangelina and Rafael are sitting in the armchair. On the coffee table there is a notebook, which Rafael uses, along with a sheet of paper with photocopies and a pencil holder. Evangelina watches television, smoking. Zoe enters the house, slyly hiding her left hand. Evangelina puts out her cigarette, looking very happy and excited. Rafael looks at both of them.


EVANGELINA

Zoe! Zoe!


Evangelina gets up quickly and approaches, interrupting Zoe's advance.


EVANGELINA (CONT’D)

Did you spend the whole night and tomorrow with Diego? Oh, never mind! Tell me how it went! Is he cultured, proactive, ambitious, did you get anything? Tell me, tell me.


Zoe folds her arms across her chest and bites down hard on her lower lip.


ZOE

Yes.

(pause)

Providing them with opportunities and privileges is a priority.


RAFAEL

At what cost?


ZOE

He did not tell me, soon.


EVANGELINA

We did it!


Evangelina happily embraces Rafael, who remains seated, by the shoulders.


EVANGELINA (CONT’D)

Have you eaten anything? I'll tell Marcela to prepare breakfast for you, leave your backpack/satchel.


ZOE

I can take care of that.


Evangelina ignores Zoe and looks towards the kitchen.


EVANGELINA

(loud voice)

Marcela!


Marcela enters the room.


MARCELA

Yes?


Evangelina, smiling, points at Zoe. Rafael stands up.


EVANGELINA

Breakfast for her.


Marcela nods and leaves. Rafael approaches Zoe.


RAFAEL

Did he tell you who passed your...?


Zoe nods.


RAFAEL (CONT’D)

I don't want you to be angry about what I did. Diego is experienced and- -


ZOE

It's OK, it's OK.


Rafael smiles and Evangelina hugs him.


ZOE

Are you working from here today?


RAFAEL

Yes.


Zoe looks thoughtful.


ZOE

Are my sisters in school?


Rafael shakes his head.


RAFAEL

Above, they have no clses.


Zoe walks towards the stairs, uncrossing her arms. She climbs up.



EXT-INT. STREET/AXEL CAR - CONTINUOUS


Axel is parked somewhere, as if waiting for time to pass. A few minutes later, Julián approaches and rests his arms on Axel's window. Axel slyly hides his left hand. Julian waits a few seconds for him to lower it. He taps the window. Axel rolls down the window, without looking at him.


JULIÁN

Different location, same strategy?


Julián smiles. Axel, after a few seconds, looks at him as if he wants to answer him.


JULIÁN

You disappoint me. You are not smarter than me.



INT. ZOE HOUSE/UPPER FLOOR/CORRIDOR - CONTINUOUS


Zoe takes a few steps. In front of her, Celina comes walking with Hephaestus in her arms. Zoe conceals her left hand, slyly.


ZOE

Celi!


Zoe strokes Hephaestus, smiling. Celina puts him down and they embrace.


ZOE (CONT’D)

(low voice)

Sorry for the absence these days, how did everything go?


CELINA

(low voice)

Mum has always spoken highly of you. You study, you worry about the family, the future, in short, you obey.


Zoe looks at different parts of the place. Celina smiles.


CELINA (CONT’D)

(low voice)

Although I know you and I know it's not true. I like the couple you and Axel make.


Zoe puts her index finger to her lips, imperatively, repeatedly, indicating silence. Celina makes a gesture to keep her mouth shut.


ZOE

Are you OK?


Celina nods. Daniela comes running in and hugs Zoe.


DANIELA

Look, my tooth came out.


Daniela opens her mouth and shows Zoe the empty space in her gum. Zoe feigns concern.


ZOE

And can you eat? Because there's something tasty waiting for you downstairs.


Daniela nods, smiles and runs off in the direction of the stairs. Celina and Zoe smile. Celina follows Daniela.



INT. ZOE HOUSE/UPPER FLOOR/ZOE BEDROOM - CONTINUOUS

Zoe comes in and takes out her mobile phone from her rucksack/handbag. She throws it on the bed. She sends a message to Axel.


ZOE: "HOW LONG DO YOU THINK THE LIE WILL LAST?"


ZOE SEES AXEL READ THE MESSAGE, but receives no reply. He sighs, throws the mobile phone on the bed. He puts both hands on his waist. As he does so, he winces. He looks at his left hand, not shown.



INT. ZOE HOUSE/UPPER FLOOR/ZOE BEDROOM/BATHROOM - CONTINUOUS


Zoe enters the bathroom. She removes the healing dressing, which covers her tattoo. She washes it with soap and water. The hand is not shown.



INT. UNIVERSITY/FACULTY/CLASSROOM - AFTERNOON


ABSOLUTE SILENCE. Almost full. The students are in a written exam. Axel, expressionless, stares at the paper for a few minutes. He stands up, puts his rucksack on his shoulders, takes the paper, walks to the teacher's desk (60) and leaves the exam paper on it. He walks towards the door, while the teacher looks, fleetingly, at the test. Axel leaves. The teacher looks at the door with regret.



INT. SCHOOL/CLASSROOM - CONTINUOUS


ABSOLUTE SILENCE. Almost full. The students are in a written exam. A boy (17) takes the backpack, the test and three handwritten sheets of paper. He gets up, walks to the teacher of the first class and hands it to her. The teacher receives him, kindly. The boy leaves. The teacher then looks at his mobile phone.


PROFESSOR

Ten minutes left.


Zoe, on her bench, has the evaluation, next to a handwritten sheet of paper. She uses the pen to help herself read the instructions. Thoughtfully, she clutches her forehead, incessantly moving the pen. She puts everything in her backpack, stands up, takes the sheets of paper and walks towards the teacher. She hands her the papers over without looking at her and leaves.



EXT. STREET/SIDE SCHOOL - CONTINUOUS


Zoe walks towards Axel car. Less than halfway there, there is a group of five boys: boy 1 (18) smokes, boy 2 (17), girl 1, girl 2 and girl 3. When Zoe tries to avoid them, boy 1, along with girls 1 and 2, stop her.


BOY 1

Rushed?


Zoe, again, tries to avoid them. All the same, the three prevent her from doing so, cornering her.


GIRL 3

Don't you want to talk?



EXT-INT. STREET/SIDE SCHOOL/AXEL CAR - CONTINUOUS


Axel, parked in the same place as always, looks in the rear-view mirror at Zoe, being cornered by the group of boys.



EXT. STREET/SIDE SCHOOL - CONTINUOUS


Zoe looks at girl 1, in front of her, coldly. Girl 3 walks intimidatingly around, positioning herself behind Zoe. She gets close to her ear.


GIRL 3

Do you hide your fear?


Zoe remains unperturbed.


GIRL 3 (CONT’D)

Oh, poor thing.

(pause)

So many books you swallow and none of them explain how to defend yourself.


Everyone laughs except Zoe.


GIRL 3 (CONT’D)

Perhaps, my friend will teach you that it is not a good idea to attack an animal when it is alone.


Girl 3 and Boy 1 look at each other for a moment. Then, boy 1 looks, smiling at Zoe.


Axel gets out of the car and goes to where Zoe is with the others.


Boy 1 approaches Zoe, standing in front of her.


BOY 1

The lioness may attempt to hunt a lone buffalo, but if the pride arrives, death represents a high percentage.


Axel, quick and stealthy, approaches. Boy and girl 2 are the first to see him. They worry and panic, but do nothing. Axel stands behind boy 1. They all look at him, worried and frightened, except for boy 1, who is restrained.


AXEL

(low voice)

As long as the lion does not appear, surprisingly.


Axel, in the blink of an eye, knocks the cigarette out of Boy 1's hand. Boy 1 turns around and Axel stubs out the cigarette on his forehead and throws it away. Boy 1 moans in pain. The others, horrified, assist him and turn away. Axel looks for a few seconds at girl 3 and then at Zoe. They walk towards the car. They open the respective doors.



EXT-INT. STREET/SIDE SCHOOL/AXEL CAR - CONTINUOUS


Axel and Zoe sit in their seats.


AXEL

Is she the one bothering you?


Zoe nods. Axel looks straight ahead.


AXEL

Hate slowly consumes people until they are empty. Their lives become miserable.


They remain silent for several seconds.


ZOE

We forgave them many times without being asked. We let them go to the limit and we respond in this way, bringing out the worst in us. It is not right. There are other ways.

(pause)

On top of that, the more we want to differentiate ourselves, the more similar we become to them.


Axel looks thoughtful.


AXEL

It's true.


They remain silent for several seconds.


ZOE

You didn't answer me today, do they suspect the version you gave about the meeting with Jimena?


Axel doesn't respond.


ZOE (CONT’D)

Is Julián the problem? Does he insist?


Axel looks at Zoe, implying yes. Axel starts the car and they drive off.



INT. ZOE HOUSE/KITCHEN-DINING ROOM - CONTINUOUS


Zoe, backpack on, opens the fridge, takes out a bottle of water and sets it on the counter. She opens a cupboard door and takes out a glass. He pours himself some water, drinking most of it. He stops when Evangelina speaks.


EVANGELINA

I called Diego to thank him. You lied.


Zoe finishes the glass of water with her back to Evangelina.


EVANGELINA (CONT’D)

What did you do all this time?


Zoe sets the glass down on the counter, with a LOUD SOUND. She looks at the wall in front of her.


EVANGELINA (CONT’D)

Am I wrong if I say that you slept with Axel?

(pause)

Zoe.


Zoe looks at the glass for a moment and turns away.


ZOE

No.


EVANGELINA

No? Just like that?

(pause)

Do you think he thinks about you, that he misses you, that he loves you? Really?


Zoe looks at her blankly. Evangelina laughs, sardonically.


EVANGELINA (CONT’D)

Did he give you roses, chocolates or maybe a cuddly toy? No, did he? You're just one of the bunch, why would he notice you? Is it to fuck like rabbits?

(pause)

The future depends on you, Zoe, don't you see?


Zoe walks towards the door without stopping.


EVANGELINA (CONT’D)

Accept the offer or I assure you that you will remember every detail of this house.



INT. AXEL HOUSE/BATHROOM - NIGHT


Axel is putting cream on his tattoo, without showing his hand. He closes the cream and comes out.



INT. AXEL HOUSE/CORRIDOR - CONTINUOUS


Axel comes out of the bathroom and takes a few steps, while Horacio walks in front of him. Axel does not look at him. Horatio stops, as Axel walks past him.


HORACIO

Gustavo told me that Jimena didn't have a good time. You cut her face.

Axel turns around.


HORACIO (CONT’D)

Was it Zoe?


AXEL

Was my brother behind that talk?


HORACIO

Was it Zoe?


AXEL

Yes, you know what?


Horacio approaches, pointing his index finger at Axel.


HORACIO

It's been a while since you stopped coming to the company, so, starting tomorrow, you're going to come with me every day, fulfilling every task I give you.


AXEL

I am not going to be part of your dirty business, I am not Julian.


HORACIO

No, and that's why the car keys, along with the copy, may disappear or, perhaps, no longer be there. Get a haircut, shave and wear a shirt.


Horacio continues walking. Axel puts his hands in his pockets, searching desperately. He walks almost running towards his bedroom.



INT. AXEL HOUSE/UPPER FLOOR/AXEL BEDROOM - CONTINUOUS

Axel enters in desperation, looks at the rucksack on the floor and runs to it. Squatting down, he rummages through it. Angrily, he stands up and looks around the room, as if searching for something. He takes his mobile phone out of his pocket and types.



INT. ZOE HOUSE/UPPER FLOOR/ZOE BEDROOM - CONTINUOUS


Zoe, lying on the bed, caresses Hephaestus thoughtfully. HER MOBILE PHONE VIBRATES. She reads Axel's message and closes her eyes. She answers, worried and distressed.



INT. AXEL HOUSE/UPPER FLOOR/AXEL BEDROOM - CONTINUOUS


Axel, angry, is sitting on the floor next to the bed. He reads Zoe's message. He replies and puts the mobile phone in his left hand. With his right hand, in the shape of a fist, he hits the floor hard, repeatedly.



INT. ZOE HOUSE/UPPER FLOOR/ZOE BEDROOM - MORNING


Zoe sleeps. Rafael opens the door, walks in and approaches Zoe. He touches her slowly to wake her up. Zoe half-opens her eyes.


RAFAEL

(low voice)

Daughter, how are you? I've come to say goodbye. I'm going to Rosario on business, I'll be back on Saturday. Tomorrow, Celina and Daniela, after school, are going to stay at a friend's house.


Zoe nods half asleep.


RAFAEL (CONT’D)

I'll let you sleep on. See you later, don't make your mum upset.


Rafael walks over, opens the door and goes out. Seconds later, she wakes up, pensive. She takes her mobile phone from under her pillow and types.



INT. HORACIO COMPANY/HORACIO OFFICE - CONTINUOUS


On the right-hand side of the desk is a stack of folders. Axel, seated in the client chair in front of it, holds a folder. He flips through and reads its pages, with no inclination. HIS MOBILE PHONE VIBRATES. He takes it out of his pocket and reads. He answers thoughtfully.



INT. ZOE HOUSE/UPPER FLOOR/ZOE BEDROOM - CONTINUOUS


Zoe, lying in bed, reads the message and looks at the wardrobe.



EXT-INT. STREET/ACROSS THE STREET FROM SCHOOL/AUTO EVANGELINA - AFTERNOON


Evangelina stops the car in front of Zoe's school, who is in the front passenger seat. Zoe reaches into the back seat to grab her backpack.


EVANGELINA

From today, I fetch and seek you.


Zoe opens the door, gets out of the car, puts on her backpack, walks a few meters and enters the school. Evangelina watches Zoe enter and leaves.



EXT-INT. STREET/UNIVERSITY/ACADEMY FRONT/AUTO HORACIO - CONTINUOUS


The car slows to a stop a few metres from the FACULTY OF ECONOMIC SCIENCES. Axel gets out of the car with his backpack, walks seriously and doubtfully at the same time, observing the building and the students around him. Once he enters, Horacio leaves.



EXT-INT. STREET/ACROSS THE STREET FROM SCHOOL/AUTO EVANGELINA - CONTINUOUS


Evangelina is parked a few metres from the school. She watches Zoe come to the door and looks to the side, as if looking for her. Zoe finds her and walks to the car. She opens the door and gets in.



EXT-INT. STREET/UNIVERSITY/ACADEMY FRONT/AUTO HORACIO - CONTINUOUS


Axel waits, standing on the pavement. Horacio approaches, driving. He stops in front of Axel. He gets in and they drive off.



INT. ZOE HOUSE/UPPER FLOOR/ZOE BEDROOM - NIGHT


Zoe's rucksack is on the bed, pockets open, half full. Zoe quickly fetches folded clothes from the wardrobe and stuffs them into the rucksack. On her way back, she chooses three hanging garments, takes them to bed, folds them and puts them in the rucksack. He grabs a necessaire, located next to the backpack, and walks to the bathroom. SOUNDS OF OBJECTS ARE HEARD. After a few seconds, Zoe comes out and puts the filled necessaire in the backpack. She puts her hands on her hips and looks around the room.



INT. AXEL HOUSE/UPPER FLOOR/AXEL BEDROOM - CONTINUOUS


Axel's rucksack is on a chair, pockets closed, almost full. Axel, squatting in front of a wall, removes a skirting board. Behind it, the wall is concave with food. Inside, there is a small bag with money and cards. Axel takes it and sits up. He pulls out the money and counts it, as he walks to the rucksack. He puts the wad into the bag and the bag into the rucksack. He sits on the end of the bed and looks at the floor, thoughtfully, for several seconds. He looks at the rucksack.



INT. ZOE HOUSE/KITCHEN-DINING ROOM - NOON


Zoe is sitting down, eating her lunch of milanesa and fries. Celina and Daniela peek in, fresh from school. All three smile at the sight of each other.


DANIELA

Hello!


ZOE

How was school?


Celina and Daniela enter.


DANIELA

Good.


Zoe moves the plate in Daniela's direction. Celina rests her hands on the back of a chair. Daniela walks over, smiling even wider, and eats several fries. Zoe looks at Celina, as if inviting her to do the same. Celina shakes her head. Zoe continues to eat, but now, in a hurry.


CELINA

We'll be leaving in a little while.


Zoe looks at the clock on the wall.


ZOE

Yes, me too, I'm leaving now.


Zoe stops eating, wipes her mouth with a napkin and stands up.


ZOE

We would meet on Sunday.


CELINA

Yes.


ZOE

Have fun!


Zoe kisses Daniela on the cheek and hugs her tightly. She does the same with Celina. Celina looks thoughtful and doubtful.


CELINA

Is something wrong?


ZOE

They're my sisters, I'm going to miss them, aren't you?


DANIELA

Yes!


Daniela hugs Zoe. Celina smiles and hugs her.



EXT-INT. STREET/ACROSS THE STREET FROM SCHOOL/AUTO EVANGELINA - CONTINUOUS


Zoe closes the car door and walks towards the school. Evangelina sees her walk through the first gate and leaves.



INT. SCHOOL/HALL - CONTINUOUS


Zoe, hidden to one side, waits a few seconds.



EXT. STREET/SCHOOL FRONT - CONTINUOUS


Zoe peers out of the first doorway, looking to the front and sides, as if checking something. She walks to the street, hails a taxi and gets in.


ZOE

To the airport.



EXT. FRONT AIRPORT - CONTINUOUS


People come and go, every now and then. Axel waits at the entrance. A taxi arrives. Axel sees Zoe in it. Zoe pays the taxi driver and gets out of the car. He approaches Axel.


ZOE

Shall we go in?


AXEL

Where are we going to go?


ZOE

Anywhere, far away from here.


AXEL

We cannot.


ZOE

Why not! I'm tired! I'm fed up! I want to go and not suffer any more!


AXEL

Me too! But wherever we go, they will be waiting for us.


ZOE

No.


AXEL

Really?

(pause)

Since when did we run away?


ZOE

Leaving is not running away. It is something else.


AXEL

It isn't, why are you trying to deceive yourself?


ZOE

I try to keep us together.

(pause)

Don't you see what our lives are like? Telling us what to wear, who to fall in love with, how to act, criticising our tastes and friends, fulfilling their frustrated dreams, carrying their resentments, mocking, humiliating us?


Two people approach and enter the airport. Zoe and Axel look at them.


AXEL

The ways were wrong in the past. Let us do what is right and necessary now.

(pause)

Leaving is not the only option. We can deal with the situation by talking to your parents and mine.


ZOE

What? You want to talk when they want us apart? It would be a vice and would complicate things even more.


AXEL

No.

(pause)

Deep down, you think and feel the same as I do, we are the same. Deny it.

They look at each other for a few seconds. Then Zoe looks at different points in thought. She looks at Axel.


ZOE

Who do we talk to first?


AXEL

Horacio.



EXT. STREET/FRONT AXEL HOUSE - CONTINUOUS


The taxi leaves. Zoe and Axel walk towards the door.


AXEL

No one is there. I should be there in an hour or so.


Zoe nods. Axel opens the door and they enter.



INT. AXEL HOUSE/LIVING ROOM - CONTINUOUS


Axel and Zoe enter. They take a couple of steps, leave their backpacks on the couch. THEY HEAR THE VOICES OF A MAN AND A WOMAN. They stand still, looking up. Then they look at each other, doubtful. Axel steps forward, walking, stealthily, in the direction of the stairs. Zoe follows him.



INT. AXEL HOUSE/UPPER FLOOR/CORRIDOR - CONTINUOUS


Axel and Zoe stop when they reach the top floor. THEY HEAR VOICES AND LAUGHTER FROM A MAN AND A WOMAN. They look at each other in confusion, as if they recognise the voices. They walk, stealthily, towards the room where the voices are coming from.


HORACIO

(agitated voice)

Let's meet more often. I want to make love to you every day.


There is silence for several seconds.


EVANGELINA

(agitated voice)

Not so fast.


Horacio's bedroom door is ajar. Zoe peeks, very carefully, in front of Axel. The double bed is positioned on the same line as the door. Horatio is lying naked and above him, Evangelina, wearing only her bra. Horacio quickly removes it, they kiss and have sex. Zoe's eyes fill with tears. Axel, noticing this, immediately covers her mouth and lifts her from behind by the waist, walking away as quickly and silently as he can. When he reaches the top of the stairs, he slowly removes his hand from her mouth. Zoe cries silently without stopping. He takes her hand in both his hands, while Axel pulls her closer to him, crying silently and dropping his head on her right shoulder.



INT. AXEL HOUSE/LIVING ROOM - CONTINUOUS


Axel and Zoe descend the stairs in each other's arms and as hurriedly and quietly as possible. They grab their backpacks. Axel opens the door.



EXT. STREET/FRONT OF AXEL HOUSE AND ZOE - CONTINUOUS


Axel and Zoe rush out of the house, cross the street and walk to Zoe house. When they reach the door, Zoe, crying inconsolably, searches her pockets for her keys, but to no avail. She looks for them in her backpack, but her hands are shaking. Axel, tears rolling down his face, points to a small pocket.


AXEL

In this one?


Axel doesn't wait for an answer, opens his pocket and takes out his keys. He quickly puts it in the lock and, after the first turn, stops in his tracks in thought. He stops crying.


AXEL

(low voice)

No, no, no.


Axel closes and removes the key from the lock. He looks at Zoe.


AXEL (CONT’D)

We have to go back.


Axel unconsciously puts the key in his trouser pocket. Zoe continues to cry. Axel takes Zoe by the hand and they walk to the corner. Axel looks at both streets, looking for a taxi. After a few minutes, one approaches and beckons to him. Axel gets in after Zoe.



EXT-INT. STREETS/TAXI - CONTINUOUS


Axel and Zoe are inside the car.


AXEL

To the school "name of the school".


The taxi driver nods and starts driving. Zoe wipes her tears with her hand, while Axel pulls her into his embrace. They remain in this position for the entire journey. Axel looks angry and Zoe's eyes are lost. The taxi stops at Zoe's school. Axel opens the taxi door and gets out. Zoe follows suit.



EXT. STREET/SCHOOL FRONT - CONTINUOUS


Axel circles the car, positioning himself next to Zoe, who hasn't closed the door yet. Axel leans in, looking at the taxi driver.


AXEL

Hold on a second.


The taxi driver nods. Axel closes the door and walks with Zoe to the front door.


AXEL (CONT’D)

Stay here and act as if nothing has happened.


Zoe doesn't look at Axel.


AXEL (CONT’D)

Look at me. I know you can. Tomorrow we'll sort it out.


Zoe looks at him for a few seconds.


AXEL AND ZOE

Seeking to fulfil that longing.


They smile, sadly.


AXEL (CONT’D)

Let me know when you arrive.


Zoe gets close to Axel's ear.


ZOE

(whisper)

I'm still with you... let's talk about it.


Zoe kisses him on the cheek. They look at each other for a few seconds and Axel leaves. Zoe watches him walk hurriedly to the taxi and get in.



EXT-INT. STREET/ACROSS STREET/SCHOOL/TAXI - CONTINUOUS


Axel turns to the taxi driver.


AXEL

Let's go to "street names".



INT. AXEL HOUSE/UPPER FLOOR/AXEL BEDROOM - NIGHT


Axel paces nervously back and forth, looking at his mobile screen, as if waiting for a message.



INT. ZOE HOUSE/KITCHEN-DINING ROOM - CONTINUOUS


Zoe, expressionless, walks to the counter. She takes her mobile phone out of her pocket. Hephaestus stands in the doorway between the living room and the kitchen-dining room.



INT. AXEL HOUSE/UPPER FLOOR/AXEL BEDROOM - CONTINUOUS


Axel, walking nervously, stops in his tracks. He looks around the room. Suddenly, he seems to remember something. Quickly, he reaches into his trouser pocket, pulls out Zoe house key and looks at it.



INT. ZOE HOUSE/KITCHEN-DINING ROOM - CONTINUOUS


Evangelina is sitting on a chair with her legs crossed. She lights a cigarette. Zoe, standing at the counter, types on her mobile phone. Evangelina watches her.


EVANGELINA

I guess you already talked to Diego and forgot to tell me. You wouldn't want to be locked up.


Zoe stops writing and angrily looks at Evangelina.


ZOE

I didn't forget anything and I'm going out whenever I want. You know what I did? I saw Axel, we decided to talk to Horacio and surprise! We found you and him in bed.


Evangelina looks at her, expressionless.



INT. AXEL HOUSE/LIVING ROOM - CONTIINUOUS


Julián watches from the window as Axel stealthily enters Zoe house.



INT. ZOE HOUSE/KITCHEN-DINING ROOM - CONTINUOUS


Zoe keeps looking at her. Evangelina puts out her cigarette. She looks at a fixed point on the table. Seconds later, she looks at a medium-large scissors inside the pencil holder on the table. Zoe notices this. Evangelina looks again at a fixed point on the table.


ZOE

Come on, say it's a lie, call me crazy, come on, I want to listen to you. They're the most false and twisted people I know.



INT. ZOE HOUSE/LIVING ROOM - CONTINUOUS


Axel stealthily closes the front door and walks towards the kitchen-dining room. Hephaestus stands in the doorway between the living room and the kitchen-dining room.



INT. ZOE HOUSE/KITCHEN-DINING ROOM - CONTINUOUS


Zoe and Evangelina remain in the same position.


EVANGELINA

I told you, that falsehood you judge is the reason you are alive.


ZOE

Yes, of course.


Zoe crosses her arms over her chest. Evangelina looks at Zoe.


EVANGELINA

When I got pregnant, my dear parents threw me out of the house. They did the same with Horacio. They didn't want me as a daughter-in-law, they didn't want him as a son-in-law.

(mocking tone)

Families.

(pause)

Pregnancy was a hindrance. It had to go and we agreed. What we didn't know was that there was someone else in my womb.


Zoe looks perplexed. Evangelina gets up and approaches Zoe.


EVANGELINA (CONT’D)

We were expecting twins and I wasn't going to risk my life because of you. So how did we manage? I stayed with you and Horacio with... Axel.


Zoe, engrossed, turns around and places both hands on either side of the edge of the counter. After a few seconds, she looks at the full knife rack.

EVANGELINA (CONT’D)

We each begged, knocking on doors. We pretended to be widowed parents, it was the perfect excuse. Horacio got a job in Virginia's family home and I got a job with a young and coveted single businessman. Threats, bribes, deception and agreements for our first and second story, to be Rafael and Virginia's children.


Evangelina moves a little closer to his ear.


EVANGELINA (CONT’D)

Pity causes people to think twice.


Evangelina moves a little away from Zoe.


EVANGELINA (CONT’D)

We started to get richer and richer, while we were seeing each other on the sly. We swore to keep you away, but you, time and again, no matter what the reason, ended up together. After all, it might be a sign for "name of the two companies" to come together.


Zoe turns away, annoyed.


ZOE

You never went to the gym.

(pause)

They were planning to throw us away... they chose to separate us and then allowed us to be together, for their own benefit?


Evangelina approaches Zoe.


EVANGELINA

Well, I wouldn't explain it like that. We were on the street, drifting, our aim was to survive, isn't that what everyone does?

(pause)

As for the distance between you, the twists and turns of life meant that we ended up living opposite each other.


Evangelina makes a gesture, as if it were something without solution. They stare at each other. Evangelina moves, very slowly, her right arm backwards, pretending to grab the scissors. Zoe notices. When Evangelina grabs it and directs it towards Zoe, Zoe, in one swift movement, pulls a large knife from the knife holder and plunges it into Zoe's stomach. Axel appears and watches the situation, expressionless. Zoe looks at him. Evangelina, blood gushing from her abdomen, walks backwards and to the left, staggering. She falls to the floor and, seconds later, dies. Blood begins to run across the floor, covering the scissors, in her hand. Zoe and Axel stare at the corpse, expressionless, for a few seconds. Axel looks at Zoe. Seconds later, Zoe looks at him.


ZOE

I saw the truth in his eyes for the first time.



INT. AXEL HOUSE/LIVING ROOM - CONTINUOUS


Julián is sitting in the armchair, zapping. Virginia enters.


VIRGINIA

Did you see Axel?


Julián responds without stopping zapping.


JULIÁN

He's in the house of failures.


Horacio bursts in.


HORACIO

What did you say?


Julián looks at Horacio.


JULIÁN

He's at the front, with the Smiths.


Virginia looks worried. Horacio, indignant, hurriedly walks down the corridor. After a few seconds, he returns. He grabs the keys, quickly, and walks towards the door, enraged. Virginia is frightened.


VIRGINIA

No! Wait!


Horacio opens the door and goes out. Behind him, he is hurriedly followed by Virginia, who closes the door. Julian, unconcerned, leaves in a gutter.



INT. ZOE HOUSE/LIVING ROOM - CONTINUOUS


ABSOLUTE SILENCE: Zoe and Axel are sitting at the table, deep in thought. Axel, staring at a spot on the floor, places the keys on the table.


AXEL

Nineteen years of lies...



EXT. STREET/FRONT AXEL HOUSE AND ZOE HOUSE - CONTINUOUS


Horacio, angry, and Virginia, worried and frightened, finish crossing the street and walk, hurriedly, towards Zoe house.


AXEL (OFF)

No scruples, no remorse. No regrets.


Horacio and Virginia arrive at the door of Zoe house.



INT. ZOE HOUSE/KITCHEN-DINING ROOM - CONTINUOUS


Zoe and Axel remain in the same position. THE DOORBELL RINGS. Axel and Zoe are still deep in thought. THE DOORBELL RINGS TWICE IN A ROW. Axel and Zoe look at each other. Zoe gets up and goes out.



INT. ZOE HOUSE/LIVING ROOM - CONTINUOUS


Hephaestus stands in the doorway between the living room and the kitchen-dining room. Zoe enters and crosses the living room to the door. She opens it wide enough to see who it is.


HORACIO

Where is Axel?


ZOE

Not here.


Zoe starts to close the door. Horatio stops her, abruptly placing his hand on the door.


HORACIO

They reached the limit.


ZOE

If I remember correctly, a few hours ago you were screwing Mom. That's pushing the limit.


Virginia looks confused and looks blankly at Horatio. Zoe tries to close the door, but Horatio slams it open and enters. Virginia tries to enter, but Horatio slams the door in her face. Virginia BANGS THE DOOR FAST AND REPEATEDLY.


VIRGINIA (OFF, FROM OUTSIDE)

(shouts)

Horacio! Horacio!


Zoe stands near the door, while Horatio takes a few steps inside.


VIRGINIA (OFF, FROM OUTSIDE)

(shouts)

Horacio! Horacio!


HORACIO

(loud voice)

Axel!


Horacio looks around the living room, as if searching for someone.


HORACIO

(loud voice)

Where the fuck are you?


Virginia BANGS THE DOOR QUICKLY AND REPEATEDLY.


VIRGINIA (OFF, FROM OUTSIDE)

(shouts)

Horacio!


Horacio watches the end of the staircase, upper floor. Axel walks in, slowly, from the kitchen-dining room. They look at each other.


AXEL

Don't you want her to know that you spent your extra working hours with your son's biological mother? Or, perhaps, don't you want her to know that you had another daughter with her, my twin?


Horacio looks at him angrily, but doesn't respond.


HORACIO

(shouts)

Evangelina! Evangelina!


Horacio walks quickly to the kitchen-dining room, entering.


HORACIO (CONT’D, OFF, FROM KITCHEN-DINING ROOM)

(shouts)

Evange- -


Axel and Zoe look at each other. Horacio, after a few seconds, comes out of the kitchen-dining room in desperation and anger. Holding both arms in a natural position, with his right hand, inside a latex glove, he holds a short firearm. He stops at the midpoint, which separates Axel and Zoe, who look at the gun.


HORACIO (CONT’D)

(shouts)

Who did it? Who did it?


Horacio looks at Axel, who in turn is looking at Zoe. He raises his arm and points it at Axel. Axel and Zoe continue to stare at each other.


HORACIO (CONT’D)

The one who pretends to be a lyricist instead of a classy executive? The inept one who never achieved anything?


After a few seconds, Horatio points at Zoe, who continues to stare at Axel.


HORACIO (CONT’D)

Zoe?


After a few seconds, Horacio again points the gun at Axel, who continues to stare at Zoe. A moment later, Horacio points the gun at Zoe again, taking the safety off. Horatio nods a couple of times. Axel sneaks up on Horacio, unnoticed.


HORACIO (CONT’D)

Evangelina said that you were the second to appear, she couldn't prove it, but she always believed it. You did everything wrong, you saved Axel's life to take ours. Or condemn him, depending on the perspective.


Horacio is about to fire when Axel rushes at him, trying to take the gun. They struggle until Axel takes it from him and angrily points it at him. Behind Axel, a few feet away, is Zoe. Horatio looks frightened.


AXEL

Do you live in peace?


Horacio does not respond.


AXEL (CONT’D)

Don't you feel some guilt?


HORACIO

(low voice)

Please.


AXEL

Incorrect words.


Axel begins to lower the gun. Simultaneously, Horacio pulls a knife from behind him and, as he tries to rush Axel, Axel shoots him.


VIRGINIA (OFF, FROM OUTSIDE)

(piercing cry)

No!


Horacio falls to the ground dead. Virginia BANGS, INCESTANTLY, ON THE DOOR.


VIRGINIA (OFF, FROM OUTSIDE)

(shouts)

Horacio! Axel!


Axel drops the gun. Virginia BANGS, INCESTANTLY, ON THE DOOR.


VIRGINIA (OFF, FROM OUTSIDE)

(heartbreaking voice)

Horacio! No! What did you do?!


Zoe and Axel stare at the corpse, expressionless, for a few seconds. Zoe looks at Axel. Seconds later, he looks at her. Axel walks towards Zoe, who is now staring at the floor. He positions himself in front of her and they remain like that, absorbed in their thoughts, for several seconds.


GRACE VANDERWAAL - BEAUTIFUL THING


They look at each other for a few seconds. They embrace. Zoe begins to cry silently. They hold each other for a few seconds. They separate and look at each other.


ZOE

Did we have something?


AXEL

(whisper)

No.


ZOE

So, no matter how long we stay apart, friendship and blood bind us together. No one can change that.


Axel nods.


AXEL

Will you remember me every night? You're the only person I don't feel lonely with.


ZOE

I'll continue to do so.


Axel wipes the tears from her face. THE BLUE LIGHT FROM THE POLICE CARS SHINES THROUGH THE WINDOWS.


AXEL

I'm going to need you so much.


They give each other a long, heartfelt kiss on the cheek, as if to say goodbye. They lean their foreheads against each other, looking at each other. They embrace. Hephaestus stands in the doorway between the living room and the kitchen-dining room.


The parricide of Horacio Hemmer and Evangelina Quesada at the hands of their children, Zoe Smith and Axel Hemmer, is gaining national significance. Multiple media outlets, both traditional and alternative, publicise the story and the case. At first, some of the information is erroneous or misrepresented in favour of the victims. They cover the entire criminal process and carry out brief interviews and reports with Rafael, Virginia, Julián, Celina and Daniela Smith, as well as with other family members, neighbours and professionals from different areas. The case is classified as excess in self-defence. The defence is requesting a change in the charge to one that provides for harsher penalties.



BLACK BACKGROUND


JUDGE

"Read the sentence, the judgment and the penalty".



INT. PRISON/CELL CORRIDOR - DAY - - - PEARL JAM - WISHLIST (TRAILER, FEMALE COVER)


Axel walks in handcuffed and guarded by two policemen. One of the policemen opens the cell door, removes the handcuffs and Axel enters.



INT. PRISON/CELL CORRIDOR - DAY - - - PEARL JAM - WISHLIST (TRAILER, FEMALE COVER)


Zoe walks in handcuffed and guarded by two policemen. One of the policemen opens the cell door, uncuffs her and Zoe enters.



INT. PRISON/CELL - DAY - - - PEARL JAM - WISHLIST (TRAILER, FEMALE COVER)


Axel enters. He sits with his elbows on his knees, crossing his hands. He looks at the small window for a few seconds. He looks down at his hands and separates the little finger of his left hand. On the inner side of the finger, the letter "Z" is tattooed, followed by the symbol SANKOFA. Axel smiles and leans his back against the wall, looking straight ahead. The smile turns into a laugh, as if he is remembering something nice. He stops laughing and tears well up in his eyes. He begins to cry, as he slides to the floor, lying on his back. After a few seconds, she slips into a fetal position, to her right. She cries, inconsolably.



INT. PRISON/CELL - DAY - - PEARL JAM - WISHLIST (TRAILER, FEMALE COVER)


Zoe enters. She sits with her elbows on her knees, crossing her hands. She looks at the small window for a few seconds. She looks down at her hands and separates the little finger of her left hand. On the inner side of the finger, the letter "A" is tattooed, followed by the symbol SANKOFA. Zoe smiles and leans her back against the wall, looking straight ahead. The smile turns into a laugh. She laughs as if remembering something nice. She stops laughing and her eyes fill with tears. He begins to cry, as he slides to the floor, lying on his back. After a few seconds, she slips into a fetal position, to her left. She cries, inconsolably.


29 Mart 2023 21:40 0 Rapor Yerleştirmek Hikayeyi takip edin
2
Son

Yazarla tanışın

Carolina P. Drama, romance y puede que algo más.

Yorum yap

İleti!
Henüz yorum yok. Bir şeyler söyleyen ilk kişi ol!
~

Daha fazla hikaye