R
Rosemary RoRo


A story that I wrote as a birthday present for my bestie, who said I should post it somewhere for people to read. All feedback is welcome :)


Romance Contemporain Tout public.

#story #romance #contemporary #cute #ya # #boymeetsboy
0
2.1mille VUES
Terminé
temps de lecture
AA Partager

Chapter 1- money is always the priority

Monday, 2nd August, 11:52 pm

“Do you really have to leave this Friday?” Ronan heard his boss say to the waitress, Marjorie, who was going to leave for a couple of months, as he cleaned the last few tables of the dining room.

“Yes, my mother changed the schedule at the last minute, I’m sorry,” she sounded pitiful, “but I’ll be back in October.”

“It´s august. Where am I going to find another worker? I´m already short on staff.” His boss sounded exhausted and worried. Ronan started to sweep the floor.

“Well, you still have me for the rest of the week!” He could hear the smile Marjorie was trying to fake through her words.

“Yeah, yeah…have a good night.” He heard the footsteps of his boss, Ryan, as he walked away.

Ronan then saw Marjorie appear in the dining room through the main doors, no longer with her work clothes but with a sweater, leggings and her bag.

“Hi, is there anything else that you need help with?” She asked.

“No, I´m just finishing sweeping the floor,” he replied, with his fondest smile. “Do you want me to walk you home? I´ll be quick.” It were rare the times where Marjorie would go home alone at night. She’d be accompanied by other co-workers, since she was the youngest and a fresh turned adult.

“No, thank you, my sister is picking me up.”

They said good night to each other and Ronan continued cleaning the floor. He was usually the last one to leave the restaurant and so he was the one that close it up.


During the rest of the week, Ronan saw Ryan talk to some people that could become new waiters or waitresses, but none of them ever stayed.

After Marjorie left, Ronan and the rest of his fellow co-workers, Jim, Carlos, and Kate, started to feel burnt out. Even Ryan felt it. They needed to find someone fast.

Friday, 6th August, 2:12 pm

As soon as Kasem’s college of London admission was accepted, he caught the first flight to London there was. As intelligent as he was, he didn’t think things through. When he got to London he didn’t have a place to stay. He walked around London for three hours and a half trying to find the cheapest hotel or motel there was. Until he found one. Eight pounds per night. It’ll have to do, Kasem thought. He was glad that he had enough money to survive but money doesn´t last forever, so he needed to find a job.

He asked the locals, the hotel staff; he would go into shops to see if they needed anyone. But nothing.

One day, he saw a pamphlet that said «restaurant of love and crowns looking for waiter/ waitress with or without experience». In the bottom there was a number. Kasem went to a quiet corner, dialled the number and set up a meeting.

Monday, 9th August, 10:58 am

As soon as Ronan got to the restaurant, he went straight to the main doors of the dining room, to start getting the things ready for the day, and found them locked. Usually, Jim, the waiter who had been there longer and got to the restaurant earlier, should’ve unlock them by now.

Ronan looked left and saw him cleaning the windows of the terrace.

“Good morning, do you know why the dining room doors are locked?” he asked Jim.

“Morning,” he greeted him as usual, “Ryan is interviewing another someone.” He didn’t sound too hopeful. “But he said we could enter through the side door if we needed anything.”

Ronan nodded and went to the bar, where he found Kate crouched organizing the glasses they’d be needing in a few moments.

“Good morning, Kate,” he said as he walked in.

“Morning, Ron,” she said as she looked up, although Ronan couldn´t see her face, her auburn hair was covering her face.

When he entered the dining room he heard his boss´s voice say “well we’ll do a test day tomorrow, and if it works out, you’re hired! What do you say?”

“Seems great!” A boy, about his age, said, with a noticeable American accent.

As Ryan stood up he noticed Ronan.

“Ronan, my good boy, this is Kasem. He is going to do a trial day tomorrow.”

Ronan greeted the boy, Kasem, shyly, surprised by seeing his boss so energetic in the morning. Kasem still seemed nervous about the interview, so he didn’t say anything nor stayed any longer. He picked up his jacket and left.

“Well, it’s time to get to work,” Ryan said as he patted Ronan on the back.

Ronan went to get his apron and started opening the windows.



The day went by rather quickly, Ronan thought. There hadn’t been a dull moment throughout the whole shift. First a wild cat had entered the restaurant. Then Kate, at the bar, was making a smoothie and forgot to put the lid in the blender. It made quite a mess. And, as usually, the restaurant was packed. Tons of customers, great tips. The workers didn’t even had time to feel tired, they were just glad their time for lunch had come.

Ronan sat down at a table in the dining room along with Ryan, Carlos, Jim and Kate. The kitchen staff had already left.

“Ryan pleased tell me the boy you interviewed today seemed fine,” Kate begged as she dig in her food.

“Well, as matter in fact he did,” everyone sighed in relief, “his name is Kasem, he comes from Thailand, he can speak English better than a native, and he´s going to make a test run tomorrow.”

“What´s he doing here anyway? He seems young.” Carlos asked the question that had been in Ronan´s head since the moment he saw the boy.

“He just moved. He got accepted in the college of London and the second he knew, he flew here. With no plan whatsoever, silly boy. I like that in a worker.” Ryan told them, he seemed serious about that last part.

“So what is he studying?” Jim asked. Ronan knew that Jim had been thinking about finally going to college, after abdicating his studies in order to work and help sustain his family.

“Medicine,” Ryan said, barely understandable, with his mouth full of chicken.

“Wow. He got accepted in medical school in the college of London. He must be super smart,” Kate commented, making emphasis in the word super. Everyone seemed to agree. Ronan felt a pang.

“Hey, I also go to the college of London. Why haven’t any of you ever said I’m smart?” It was the first thing Ronan said in the conversation and of course it had to be complaining about not being appreciated enough.

“Well he studies medicine and you know you...don’t” Kate said, looking down, trying to control her smile. Her new and favourite hobby was teasing Ronan.

“Besides he speaks two languages fluently.” Jim tried to make the situation better, Ronan just felt more offended.

“So do I!”

“Really?” Both Jim and Kate made shocking faces, clear disbelief in both of them.

“Yes, really.” Ronan rolled his eyes. “Carlos and his family always say that I sound like a native Spanish speaker.” Ronan sounded very defensive but at least he had a friend that would back him up. Carlos nodded his head up and down about a million times.

“That’s true. My mum even calls him mijo for being always so nice and speaking Spanish with her instead of English.”

“Well, the more you know,” Kate said and continued eating her food.

Ronan shook his head in disbelief and proceeded to eat his food as well. They would need their fuel for the night shift.


Kasem walked through the streets of London happily. Part one was done. Well, sort of. He still needed to get the job but he was half way through it. Now he needed a place to stay. He really should have come more prepared. All the rooms on campus were taken and the houses near it were too expensive. Even the houses that weren’t near campus were expensive. London itself was expensive. Tomorrow he could ask any of the restaurant staff if they knew a place to stay, they probably knew this city better than him.

Kasem went into the nearest café and bought an overly priced coffee.


Tuesday, 10th August, 11:00 am

Kasem got to the restaurant right on time.

“Kasem!” Ryan yelled, enthusiastically, as he saw him, “I’m going to leave you in good hands. Jim, here,” he gestured to a tall boy that looked about 27, with short brown hair and a little stubble on his chin, who paused his sweeping to wave him hello with a nice smile, “is going to teach you everything there is to know”.

He patted Kasem on the back and went to what Kasem presumed it was the kitchen.

“So, I’m Jim and you’re Kasem, and that” he pointed to the doors that Ryan had just entered, “is the kitchen, that” he pointed to the glass doors behind them, the place where he had come from, “is the terrace, that” he pointed towards a counter, “is the bar and the girl there is Kate. Then if you want to go the dining room you can go through those main doors or go through the side door that is inside the bar.” Jim explained. “Our toilets are in the dining room, first door to the right, and the customer’s one is at the end of the hallway.”

Jim told him he could find his work clothes and an apron inside the staff’s bathroom. When he went into the dining room he found the boy he had met the day before. Kasem couldn’t for the life of him remember his name. Rupert was it? Randall? Was it Randolph?

“Hi,” Kasem said. He must have entered pretty silently because Randolph looked kind of spooked. “I’m Kasem.”

“I know, we met yesterday,” Randolph did not look happy, “but anyways, I’m Ronan and welcome to of crowns and love.” Kasem thought that last part sounded fake but he let it slide.

So Ronan was the name.

“Thank you,” he said it back with the same tone of falseness.


Throughout the whole shift Kasem felt confused. Everything went by so quickly. He spent the shift being bossed around by Ryan, which made sense since Ryan was his boss, and Jim, which he did not mind. Sometimes he disappeared into the dining room to help Ronan and Carlos, one of the other waiters. Sometimes Carlos would also come out and help them.

By the end, Kasem had memorized the tables’ numbers and half of the dishes’ names.

“Well this was a productive day,” Ryan said as he clapped his hands, saying goodbye to the kitchen staff as they left.

“So Kasem,” Jim put his arm around his shoulders, guiding him to the kitchen “after every shift, our lovely cooks make us lunch.” Indeed it was true. Kasem was marvelled by the sight of numerous hamburgers, rice and salads.

In the midst of lunch, conversation flowed. They all were very nice to Kasem and he tried to be as nice, even though he was feeling very nervous about the fact if he’d get the job or not. He also kept stealing glances at Ronan, who did not speak much during the whole lunch. Maybe he doesn’t like me, he thought, or maybe he is just shy.

“Kasem, you’re hired. End of discussion.” Ryan blurted out of nowhere. Kasem was a little confused. What discussion had come to an end? The one they were having about mustard vs ketchup? Anyhow, Kasem was thrilled.

“Really?”

“Of course. You start tomorrow, today you can go home.” The others congratulated him, even Ronan, always so politely.

23 Septembre 2022 13:21 0 Rapport Incorporer Suivre l’histoire
0
Lire le chapitre suivant Chapter 2- From strangers to roommates to frenemies to friends

Commentez quelque chose

Publier!
Il n’y a aucun commentaire pour le moment. Soyez le premier à donner votre avis!
~

Comment se passe votre lecture?

Il reste encore 7 chapitres restants de cette histoire.
Pour continuer votre lecture, veuillez vous connecter ou créer un compte. Gratuit!

Histoires en lien