There are moments in which we want to take our stories to a screen. That's how film scripts were born. But writing a horror story is not the same as writing a script for a horror movie. Film scripts need to be written with a different methodology and thinking about how to support directors, technicians and actors, rather than becoming a literary beauty.
Each scriptwriter can have his own method to create a script, but here we will give you basic general tips that will guide you if it is your first time on it:
1) The central idea and the logline.
The first thing that you need to write a script is to identify what the central idea is. This can be a topic that you find interesting and/or you want to deepen. It can arise from a character, place, fictitious world, personal experience, etc.
We will take the example of the great saga The Lord of the Rings. The central idea could be linked to: "how to save the Middle Earth from being destroyed". However, the logline is what will define it.
The logline is a short text that describes the central idea. This is the basis of the script and the one that will be maintained until the end. A logline should always present the protagonist and the conflict, and it must be written in one or two sentences at most. The script genre must also be specified in this part.
Example: A hobbit with a group of elves, hobbits, dwarves and humans, called the Fellowship of the Ring, try to cross Middle Earth to destroy the One Ring, forged by Sauron.
2) The synopsis and the characters
The synopsis is the next step to create a script, this is when the story is summarized and the important facts are specified, as well as the protagonist, the other characters, and the setting in which the events take place. The synopsis should be written in chronological order, but not in a literary form. It must be informative and functional. Therefore, it is written in the third person point of view and in present tense.
Although a synopsis should include the introduction, the knot and the outcome in a summarized way, no descriptions or dialogues are detailed. In this section, it is not necessary to focus on the narrative.
The main characters must be briefly described according to what we want to happen in the story (according to this we will give them certain skills or shortcomings).
You can detail how your character looks physically, but in a concise and concrete way, the most important thing and what you should not miss is the characteristics that will later be very relevant to the story. As for example if your character is blind, is invalid, has schizophrenia, among other details.
3) The Step Outline:
Once the synopsis has been created, it is now the turn to order the story in sequence and segment it by scenes. This is the Step Outline, the skeleton of the story and the most practical way to visualize what will happen next on the screen. In this section you should tell all the facts but not explain why they happen. This is written in present tense and should be read clearly and practically so that the technicians can understand it and carry it out because it will be their guide.
The Step Outline does not necessarily have a chronological order. That will depend on the story, because there are stories that start with the end and then continue with the beginning. Or there are also others that play with the times: they show scenes from the past, then they pass to the future and continue with the present. In the Step Outline these scenes must appear in the order in which you want them to happen in the film.
4) The literary script
This is the time to become literary, and to develop the full scale, but without any technical indication. In a literary script the story is told with all the details, but in an audiovisual way, that means that everything we write can be visualized. Here the dialogues are introduced, and everything is written in the present tense.
The format for literary scripts has been standardized as follows:
- A header, which informs where and when the scene takes place.
- The text that tells what happens in the scene - here you can also describe the scenario.
- The dialogues, which will always have the name of the character first and then the text with what each one speaks.
INT. OF THE PSYCHIATRIC HOSPITAL / ROOM OF CHRONIC SICK - DAY
Danielle enters the cold room and observes with wide eyes the 3 patients inside. One is standing looking at the hospital garden from the one and only window of that room, while the others are tied in their own bed with their eyes wide open. All eyes are on Danielle, including the two nurses who are also there. She starts to tremble.
Good morning Danielle, welcome.
I think ... I think ... I think I enter the wrong room.
No, you haven't made any mistake, you are in the room that corresponds to you.
The two nurses approach Danielle, take her by both arms and carry her to her bed. Danielle wants to run away, but she doesn't dare, she only dares to walk in silence and obey.
And that's how you would finish creating your script. However, these are only general points, which have emerged, above all, from compilations of different writers and / or teachers specialized in the subject. While creating a film script requires a lot of work, research and details, practice is the key to achieving a good job.11 Mars 2019 16:09:18 0 Rapport Incorporer Obtenir un financement participatif de cette histoire 4
Would you go back to the past if they told you that you can change it? What would you change, and what not? Probably for many this question is not easy to answer, and neither is it for us. That's why we're going to give you the opportunity to try it with your own lyrics. The new contest of this month if about a HISTORICAL NOVEL. You must write a chapter, of maximum 400 words, about a historical event -with which you feel identified or for which you have some kind of interest- and turn it into a novel of this genre adding fiction elements.
The most interesting story, well structured and with the potential to have more chapters written, will be the winner. Of course, spelling and grammar will be taken into account. Any error of these will subtract points.
Start date: February 13, 2019
Closing date: March 13, 2019
"The historical novel is a narrative subgenre that was configured in the romanticism of the nineteenth century and has continued to develop quite successfully in the twentieth and twenty-first centuries, using a fictional argument, like any novel, has the characteristic that it is situated In a specific historical moment and real historical events tend to have some relevance in the development of the argument.The presence of historical data in the narrative may have a greater or lesser degree of depth. It is also common for this type of novels to have as protagonist a real or fictional historical character through which fiction develops. "
1. You must write the first chapter of a Historical Novel, and publish it in your Inkspired profile. Make sure that the first chapter presents the story's plot and that it contains a maximum of 400 words.
2. Once published, you can edit it until deadline.
3. The story must be published as Story with Chapters of the Historical category.
4. You must tag your story with the hashtag #HistoricalNovel in the hashtags section.
5. The story must have a title, a proper cover and a brief description.
6. It must be unpublished and exclusive of Inkspired for the duration of the contest.
7. Once the contest is over, the story should remain published on the platform for a minimum of 6 months, and our recommendation is that you continue writing it.
8. The contest will have a single winner. He or she will be announced during the third week of March.
9. The jury will be Inkspired editorial team, which includes Jackeline Vargas, Content Manager, and Ginya Les, Leader Ambassador. The winner will be chosen according to the story's structure, the level of interest generated in the first chapter and the potential to have more chapters written. Creativity, originality, grammatical and spelling quality will also be taken into account, as well as the respect of the terms of the contest.
10. A minimum of 20 participants is required for the contest to be official.
11. To get additional points, just upload and share your story in one of your Social Networks (Instagram or Facebook) and tag us @getinkspired.
1. People from any part of the world can participate, but the story must be written in English.
2. The story must contain at least one full chapter, of 400 words, and be published in the Historical category.
3. The novel must be of your authorship, we do not accept any kind of plagiarism and there may be legal actions if this is infringed.
4. The story must be exclusive for the duration of the contest.
5. If you are not a current user of Inkspired and want to participate, you just have to register. It's free!
6. The novel may be any historical event of interest to the author.
7. The work must have the hashtag #HistoricalNovel in the hashtags section. In addition, you must have a title, a cover and a brief description of the story.
8. This time you can participate with a single story. No more stories by the same author will be accepted. If this happens, all his/her stories will be disqualified.
9. Anyone who spam will be disqualified.
10. The terms of the contest must be fulfilled. No work that exceeds this term will be accepted.
11. Stories can be edited only during the contest term. Once closed, no changes will be accepted.
12. Once the winners are announced, they should write to [email protected] to coordinate the delivery of the prizes. If the winner is not pronounced within 15 days, the prize will be awarded to the second place.
13. You do not need to participate from the first day, you can do it whenever you want while the contest is open.
14. Participation in this contest means that the user knows and accepts the bases thereof.
1. We also have contests in other languages -Spanish and Portuguese-, you can see them in the contests section of each language.
First place: 1 basic cover for the winning novel, 1 feedback from the jury with suggestions to continue writing the story, and the recommendation of the story in our Social Network every time a new chapter of the winning novel is published.
1. Go to www.getinkspired.com
2. Register as a user (if you are not already). You can do it manually or via Facebook.
3. Click on CREATE A STORY.
4. Choose the type of story you want to publish, in the case of the contest it must be: STORY WITH CHAPTERS
5. Write the title of your story and the category (in this case it would be HISTORICAL). The title can be edited later if you wish.
6. Write your story as a single chapter.
7. Once written click on 'save' and then 'close and go to the story’s profile’.
8. Here you can add the hashtag #HistoricalNovel, the description, the cover and the language. Remember that the hashtag must go both in the hashtag section and in the description.
9. Then you will have to go down to where your chapter’s title is and click on the button that says 'Draft' and change it to 'Published'.
10. You can see a video tutorial on how to post here: https://getinkspired.com/faq/ -but it is in spanish.13 Février 2019 15:01:29 2 Rapport Incorporer Obtenir un financement participatif de cette histoire 9
Do not confuse writing with knowing how to write. This is fundamental within literature, especially since any person can publish online. However, if your real dream is to become a writer, the professionalism of your stories and words is crucial.
Online publishing has brought many benefits to independent writers such as: immediacy, effectiveness in reaching an audience and support from a reading community. But the quality of the texts, the spelling and grammar is not always filtered, things that no writer should forget.
On Inkspired we seek to support authors to grow, learn, get known and eventually fly alone as great writers. That’s why the stories verification process was created, which has as main objective to promote all the stories that have great quality. Having your story in the “Waiting for Review” status doesn’t mean that it is not published on our platform, but once I verified it will give you greater reach among readers, as it will be constantly recommended.
Here we give you several tips to have your story verified as soon as possible.
1) Be meticulous with your spelling and grammar. Check accents, letters and even typos or keyboard errors. Take care of the punctuation and the capital letters in the whole text, but also on the synopsis and title.
Recommendation: If you do not have very deep knowledge about spelling, you can ask a friend or teacher to read your story, or hire a proofreading service (there are many at a good price).
2) Create a good plot. A writer is an artist, someone creative who proposes a different and interesting story. Make sure your plot is innovative and engages.
Recommendation: Tell your story to someone nearby or read it out loud. Breaking the silence of the mind makes you realize what you are telling.
3) Maintain consistency between the title, the cover, the synopsis and the text. Everything must be connected. The title and cover should give a clue as to what is to be read.
4) Take care that your story, title and / or cover do not infringe the Inkspired Community Guidelines.
Recommendation: If you do not know what the rules are, you can read them here.
5) Take care of your story’s presentation: Write in paragraphs, use the same fonts, and design an original cover.
Recommendation: If you do not have design skills, on Inkspired we offer the cover design service. You can request it here.
6) Request Beta Readers, these are people who will you a review and feedback about specific aspects that you ask about a chapter.
Recommendation: Specify what you want Beta readers to analyze. Try to focus on one or two things so they can give you deep insights and suggestions.
7) Request priority in the Verification of your stories.
Recommendation: We recommend this 100%. On Inkspired hundreds of stories are published per day, and verifying all is a long process that requires time. When you request priority in the verification, your story goes to a smaller list that is review with greater urgency. To request this service you can enter the following link.
8) Be flexible in correcting your stories.
Recommendation: If your story receive a comment from our editorial team, correct it as soon as you can and answer the comment whenever you do it, so we can verify it inmediately.8 Février 2019 11:35:49 0 Rapport Incorporer Obtenir un financement participatif de cette histoire 7
Your story can be wonderful, be perfectly written, present an interesting plot and deserve to be read, but if all of this isn't transmitted properly from the beginning, readers could ignore it. And what happens? The story could be lost. For this reason, the cover of your book is one of the most important points to consider.
You must have heard before that a cover is your cover letter. It is what the reader will see first and therefore, it must motivate him to grab your book and, at least, read the synopsis, or better yet, the first pages. But many writers, especially those independent writers who at the moment publish their works on digital platforms, do not know how to create an quality cover.
You should know that according to the bibliography, and the famous authors, a good cover contains these characteristics:
- A title that communicates and at the same time draws attention.
- A quality photo or design that conveys a bit of what the story is about.
- The author's name.
- A short phrase that tells the reader what your story is about and that, at the same time, leaves the suspense, wanting to read the synopsis or the book as such. (This is optional)
While the creativity of the cover and the quality of the design or photography are important, a cover should gather the essentials of your story, and your personal style as an author. It is a way to tell the reader who you are, and what you write about. This will be your identification.
If at the beginning you find yourself with the great inconvenience of not knowing how to create your cover, and you do not have professional help, there are certain platforms that have pre-designed templates to help you in this process. Inkspired, for example, offers you the option to choose between 7 templates for free, and choose from 8 different colors. All you have to do is find a photograph that fits the design properly and you will have your cover in less than 5 minutes.
However, it will always be better that you design it, because in this way it will be exclusive and readers will be able to relate to your story immediately. Remember that sometimes images are remembered more than words.
As a way to support you on this, one of Inkspired self-publishing services is the cover's creation, and you can choose between: basic cover, cover with photo assembly or an illustrated cover. You can buy this with credit card or exchange it with your Reward Credits.
Do not forget that the cover is as important as the content, and it should express the essence of your story.23 Janvier 2019 14:25:40 0 Rapport Incorporer Obtenir un financement participatif de cette histoire 5