luna-mai1619086982 Luna Mai

The American Civil War began in the middle of the nineteenth century. Starting from April 1861, to April 1865. It was the bloodiest war In US history. Bloodier than the American Revolution and world war ll combined. More Americans lost their lives than in any other war faught by the US. Brother turned against brother. Friend agaisnt friend. Whole families were torn apart and many things were hard to come by. Such as lamp oil, sugar, and other necessities of the time. President Abraham Lincoln was president at the time of the war. It began when southern troops attacked Fort Sumpter. Soon after the attack the Fort belonged to the South. It's been argued that the reason the war began to free the slaves from slavery. But it actually began because the southern stated wanted their own individual states in which they would call "The Confederate states of America." But this was not to be. For on April 9th, 1865, General Robert E. Lee,a Confederate General, surrendered to General Ulysses S Grant at Appomattox, and finally, the war was over. Soldiers from both sides returned to their families and lived out their lives in peace. Not long after the war Present Lincoln was assassinated at Fords Theater. He was watching a play called "Our American Cousin." Which had been one of his favorites. Lincoln was shot in the back of the head at point blank range. He lingered for hours before dying. It was three days after the war. His assassin, John Wilks Booth, was a struggling actor. And when he jumped out of the Presidential box he shouted "Sic Semper Tyrannies." Which means "Thus away to tyrants." In Latin. But as he hit the stage he broke his ankle, but managed to escape from Washington by stealing a horse and fleeing the city. Booth was perused by Union officers for twelve days before being found in an old tobacco barn near Port Royal. About sixty miles from Fords Theater. They tried to get him to come out, but he wouldn't, so they set fire to the barn. But Booth remained in inside. He was later wounded in the throat, causing him to be instantly paralyzed from the neck down. He died three hours later from his injury. He asked to see his hands and was reported to say. "Usless. Usless."


Drama Todo público. © (C) Robin Harris

#American #civil #war
1
11.1mil VISITAS
En progreso - Nuevo capítulo Cada 30 días
tiempo de lectura
AA Compartir

Chapter One

The Soldiers marched in a straight line and kept their gaze to the front. Woman and children cheered and cried, holding flags of their beloved America. Streamers flew from delicate hands from the windows of the city buildings. They waved the flags back and forth as the Soldiers passed by.

David Grear, an artist from London England, was one of those brave Soldiers. He decided to volunteer when he heard the Confederacy was endangering the state of the Union.

David didn't believe in slavery. He thought a man, no matter his color, should be treated like any other man. And he was appalled at the Confederacy for fighting for such a thing.

After joining the 64th volunteers he seemed to fit in rather well. Watching his fellow Soldiers, he began to wonder what their lives might have been like before the war. Then he realized that some of these men would be dead before the end. This made his heart sink. But he shook it off and continued on what he was doing. Then another thought came to him. He could be one of those who weren't coming home. A tremendous amount of fear came over him. Lost in his thoughts he didn't realize a soldier standing next to him until he spoke.

"Hey there. What's doin?" David looked up to see a young man about twenty. He was handsome. Tall and slender with dark brown hair that went to his shoulders.

"Beg your pardon?"

"What's doin? Means how are ya."

"Oh fine thanks. You?"

"Pretty good. The names William Stanford." He said lending out his hand. David took it with pleasure.

"David Grear."

"Hot day idn't it?" David grinned and nodded in reply.

"You ain't from around here are ya?" David grinned and blinked a few times before answering.

"No sir. I'm from London.

"I see. Well David it's nice tah meet ya."

"You too William." He smiled as William walked away.

David wasn't a bad looking young man himself. He had dark brown hair that was thick with body except that it was parted on the side and it just reached his collar. He had full lips with brown eyes. He was slender but not stringy. And had a sweet disposition and respected everyone that respected him, but it wasn't in his nature to be unkind.

22 de Abril de 2021 a las 11:06 1 Reporte Insertar Seguir historia
2
Leer el siguiente capítulo Chapter Two

Comenta algo

Publica!
No hay comentarios aún. ¡Conviértete en el primero en decir algo!
~

¿Estás disfrutando la lectura?

¡Hey! Todavía hay 2 otros capítulos en esta historia.
Para seguir leyendo, por favor regístrate o inicia sesión. ¡Gratis!

Ingresa con Facebook Ingresa con Twitter

o usa la forma tradicional de iniciar sesión