Your story can be wonderful, be perfectly written, present an interesting plot and deserve to be read, but if all of this isn't transmitted properly from the beginning, readers could ignore it. And what happens? The story could be lost. For this reason, the cover of your book is one of the most important points to consider.
You must have heard before that a cover is your cover letter. It is what the reader will see first and therefore, it must motivate him to grab your book and, at least, read the synopsis, or better yet, the first pages. But many writers, especially those independent writers who at the moment publish their works on digital platforms, do not know how to create an quality cover.
You should know that according to the bibliography, and the famous authors, a good cover contains these characteristics:
- A title that communicates and at the same time draws attention.
- A quality photo or design that conveys a bit of what the story is about.
- The author's name.
- A short phrase that tells the reader what your story is about and that, at the same time, leaves the suspense, wanting to read the synopsis or the book as such. (This is optional)
While the creativity of the cover and the quality of the design or photography are important, a cover should gather the essentials of your story, and your personal style as an author. It is a way to tell the reader who you are, and what you write about. This will be your identification.
If at the beginning you find yourself with the great inconvenience of not knowing how to create your cover, and you do not have professional help, there are certain platforms that have pre-designed templates to help you in this process. Inkspired, for example, offers you the option to choose between 7 templates for free, and choose from 8 different colors. All you have to do is find a photograph that fits the design properly and you will have your cover in less than 5 minutes.
However, it will always be better that you design it, because in this way it will be exclusive and readers will be able to relate to your story immediately. Remember that sometimes images are remembered more than words.
As a way to support you on this, one of Inkspired self-publishing services is the cover's creation, and you can choose between: basic cover, cover with photo assembly or an illustrated cover. You can buy this with credit card or exchange it with your Reward Credits.
Do not forget that the cover is as important as the content, and it should express the essence of your story.Jan. 23, 2019, 2:25 p.m. 0 Report Embed 0
Writing something so short can become the hardest thing you could ever write. And that is precisely the micro-stories art. There are stories that with just a few words have everything: good characters, a great plot, and a worthy ending. And they are also easily remembered (even memorized) thanks to their brief sentences.
Many authors point out several tips and tools to write a micro-story in an appropriate way. However, at Inskpired we believe that once you know them, it is you who puts the art and style of each story. Ou advice: be free while creating.
To honor what a micro story is, we will tell you in a few lines the things you should keep in mind when you decide to write one of these:
1. Be brief. This short story should have between 2 to 200 words, no more.
2. Deepen between genders and play with them. You can combine them and use subgenres.
3. Specify the information.
4. Use the ellipses if you need it.
5. Be direct.
6. Show what you want to tell, but at the same time do not say everything.
7. Let the reader imagine certain things.
8. Use an unexpected ending or a twist to your story.
Keeping this in mind, allows your imagination to flow and let creativity be the one that prevails. Remember that these types of stories are in full swing, because with new technologies everything is more immediate and there are people who increasingly seek to write or read less. On Inkspired we have released a new format of micro-stories, in which from your iPhone App you can write and read all you want. Very very soon it will also be available for Android.
These are some examples of famous micro stories that can be your guide:
“A blind man, with his white cane, in the middle of the desert cries out because there are no obstacles to help him on his way”.
“In Sumatra, someone wants to get a doctorate as a fortune teller. The wizard examiner asks him if he will pass or fail. The candidate answers that he will fail… “
Jorge Luis Borges
“Wake up, it’s late, a strange man shouts at me from the door. You wake up, you’re the one that needs to, I answer him. But that stubborn man just keeps on dreaming.”
Ana María Shua
“And then there was the nine-year-old boy who killed his parents and asked the judge for clemency because he was an orphan.”
Jan. 8, 2019, 4:34 p.m.
Sometimes to build the future you need to go back to the past. And in this new year we want to propose you a writing contest that is based precisely on that. All you need to do is to remember, feel, let your imagination flow and write. In this contest you will have to write a poem about the photography below.
The photograph was taken by the famous war photographer James Nachtwey, If you do not know this image or you have not seen it before, do not worry, it's even better, since everything you write about it will be based on what she transmits to you and only you.
The most sensitive, original and suitable poem for the photography will be the winner. Of course, spelling and grammar will be taken into account. Any error of these will subtract points.
Start date: January 5th, 2019
End date: Febraury 5th, 2019
"Poetry is a literary style, based on the artistic manifestation by means of the word, in verse or prose, here, the aesthetic qualities of language prevail over the content."
1. You must write a poem based on Nachtwey photography and publish it on your Inkspired profile.
2. Once your story is published, you can edit it until the contest’s deadline.
3. The story must be published as a SHORT STORY of the Poetry category.
4. You must tag your story with the hashtag #PhotographicPoetry.
5. The story must have a title, a proper cover, and a brief description.
6. It must be an unpublished story, and exclusively of Inkspired during the time of the contest.
7. Once the contest is over, the poem should remain published on Inkspired for a minimum of 6 months.
8. The contest will have a single winner. It will be announced between the second and third week of Febraury 2019.
9. The winners will be chosen by the Inkspired editorial team, and their choice will be based on the originality, and sensitivity of the poem. Also for the grammatical quality and compliance with the rules.
10. A minimum of 20 participants is required for the contest to be official.
11. To win extra points, you just have to upload and share your poem in your Social Media (Instagram or Facebook) and tag @getinkspired and @getinkspired_global
1. People from any part of the world can participate, but the story must be written in English.
2. The story should follow all the rules of writing a poem.
3. The stories must be of your authorship, we do not accept any kind of plagiarism and there may be legal actions if this is infringed.
4. The stories have to be exclusive for the duration of the contest.
5. If you are not a current user of Inkspired and want to participate, you just have to register. It's free!
6. The story must have the hashtag #PhotographicPoetry in the hashtags section. In addition, it must have a title, a cover and a brief description of the work.
7. The poem must be inspired by Nachtwey photography, but it can have your own content and focus.
8. This time you can participate with a maximum of 3 poems. No more works by the same author will be accepted. If this happens, all works of authorship will be disqualified.
9. Anyone who does spam will be disqualified.
10. The terms of the contest must be fulfilled. No work that comes out of this period will be accepted.
11. Stories can be edited only during the contest term. Once closed, no change will be accepted.
12. Once the winners have been announced, they should write to email@example.com to coordinate the delivery of the prizes. If the winner is not pronounced within 15 days, the prize will be awarded to the second place.
13. You do not need to participate since the first day, you can do it whenever you want while the contest is open.
14. Participation in this contest means that the user knows and accepts the bases thereof.
15. We also have competitions in other languages -Spanish and Portuguese-, you can see them in the contest section of each language.
First place: 1 exclusive audio story of his poem, and an art with the photograph and the winning poem, which will be promoted by all our media.
1. Go to www.getinkspired.com
2. Register as a user (if you are not already). You can do it manually or via Facebook.
3. Click on CREATE A STORY.
4. Choose the type of story you want to publish, in the case of the contest it must be: SHORT STORY
5. Write the title of your story and the category (in this case it would be POETRY). The title can be edited later if you wish.
6. Write your story as a single chapter.
7. Once written click on 'save' and then 'close and go to the story’s profile’.
8. Here you can add the hashtag #PhotographicPoetry, the description, the cover and the language. Remember that the hashtag must go both in the hashtag section and in the description.
9. Then you will have to go down to where your chapter’s title is and click on the button that says 'Draft' and change it to 'Published'.
10. You can see a video tutorial on how to post here: https://getinkspired.com/faq/ -but it is in spanish.Jan. 4, 2019, 9:32 p.m. 0 Report Embed 4
Photo: Kinga Cichewicz
We know that the most common thing is that after graduating, we choose a professional career, obtain a degree, and even do a Master's degree. Learning and nurturing ourselves is always good, and now is even more necessary, because almost everything requires an academic degree. However, there are times when becoming a writer starts as a hobby and ends up as your profession. We don't know that we want to professionalize it until the desire to publish and generate income with it arrives. So we have to focus on improving our writing. Everyone can write, but not everyone writes well.
To do this, we need to invest, and we are not referring to money, but to time. There are thousands of ways to become a great author with a low budget, but the only requirement is to dedicate your time and all your desires.
Here we leave you some options that can support you to grow as a writer:
These would be some of the options to polish your writing with a low budget. However, keep in mind that the years of experience are the ones that make the most out of you. Do not stop learning by yourself, reading and, of course, writing.Dec. 7, 2018, 4:22 p.m. 0 Report Embed 5