If you want to become a better writer, or to be able to express your ideas and thoughts more clear, you need constantly grow and develop your skills. Otherwise you will end up with “crisis of creativity”. Listed exercises will help you to improve creativity and will be not only useful, but also very entertaining. They’re going to generate new interesting ideas and empower your way of thinking.
Following workout should be done in written form, and try to keep the exercises up to 10 min each.
· Close your eyes. Think about one of the objects in your room. Try to give it as many characteristics as you can, without opening your eyes. Then open your eyes and write down everything you remembered, and do not peek.
· Choose any poem that you like, and use last line as the first line of your own poem.
· Write what would you say to stranger who gave you a visit at 4 am.
· In 300 words describe a perfect place, where you would like to live.
· Write a story about an empty glass.
· Write about easiest/ toughest decision you have ever made.
· Imagine that you are in a room full of people, but you are the only one blind there. Describe the place and people around you.
· Look out the window and pick a stranger. Use 150 words to describe this person, way he/she looks, profession and habits.
· Think of the story that should include following words: beach, dog sitter, law and bun.
· Imagine that you are a Christmas tree and were just cut down. Describe your feelings.
· Write a monologue of a lonely tree that survived in a burnt forest.
· Think of a newspaper article using words: priest, money, cellar and kettle.
· Make a list of ten things you would sacrifice your last 10$ for, a week before payday.
· Write 8 daring reasons why a vendor of the antique store left his town.
These exercises will help you to boost your creativity and will improve your spontaneity in thinking. Good luck!Oct. 27, 2016, midnight 4 Report Embed 14
Many of us have a story to tell, we have experience, knowledge and vision of “How it supposed to be”. So what to do if you decided to write your own story or book?
Don’t tell anyone that you are going to write a story, even if you started to write one. It’s common that after you made to do list or only planning on doing something, you rush to tell “I’m going to be a writer!” to all your friends and everyone you know. But what if you won’t succeed (it happens in 80% when people fail at their first attempt), you will be judged and discussed your back, you definitely don’t need it.
Writing a story and promoting it is a difficult process that consumes a lot of time and energy. Don’t put high standards for yourself and people around you, and try to look at things with clear mind.
It’s not too late to change your mind. For instance, you can start a project, become a reviewer, establish your own business in other words find tons of different activities where earning a significant amount of money is easier than writing a book. It is very rare when fiction, business or any other book becomes a best seller, and it’s almost impossible for beginners to become commercially successful. So if you are writing a book to earn some money this option is not for you.
Despite first 3 tips you still need to try your hand at writing a story. If you won’t try, you will never know where it could lead you, so stop guessing of what “might happen” and do it!
Forget that someone admire writers. They get criticized, envious, colleagues say that “He or she is mere incompetence”, when they are underestimated geniuses. All these noise and talks, fame and attempts “to make a name” - that’s not a reason why people start writing books. Most of emerging authors write without thinking of getting famous or send their works to everyone in a hope that someone will notice them. In order to reach certain financial or moral status you will need to work a lot, it won’t happen overnight.
Success of great story is not about complaining to reader or telling the story from yours perspective, reader should to put himself/herself in your place and feel same emotions as you do. No one cares about your rough childhood, divorce of your patents and the fact that you were a fat ugly kid with glasses in school. But when you tell about your difficulties in a specific way so the reader can learn a lesson from it - emotional or moral and experience all events as if it actually happened with him or her – that’s what makes it a great story.
To be a good writer and write a story worth reading is not easy. It’s important to work hard, train regularly, expend your skills, to read a lot and write even more, try various styles and genres.Oct. 21, 2016, midnight 0 Report Embed 9
1. Use the time of a total stranger in such a way that he or she will not feel the time was wasted.
2. Give the reader at least one character he or she can root for.
3. Every character should want something, even if it is only a glass of water.
4. Every sentence must do one of two things—reveal character or advance the action.
5. Start as close to the end as possible.
6. Be a Sadist. No matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them—in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
7. Write to please just one person. If you open a window and make love to the world, so to speak, your story will get pneumonia.
8. Give your readers as much information as possible as soon as possible. To hell with suspense. Readers should have such complete understanding of what is going on, where and why, that they could finish the story themselves, should cockroaches eat the last few pages.
But like all rules, they can be broken, as Vonnegut mention. Its just a tool to help you get started :)
- Kurt Vonnegut: Bagmbo Snuff Box.Oct. 17, 2016, 5:55 p.m. 7 Report Embed 18
There are number of reasons why you should definitely try writing a book. You might think that it’s not yours and you don’t have any special abilities, but there are people who will gladly help and share with you.
Even if you don’t plan to make writing your career, writing a book will help you to get on a next level and will help to advance your creativity skills.
Here I want to share with you a several reasons you should write a book.
1. Stand out from the crowd
Not everybody chooses writing a book as his/her career and that’s why you should try it yourself. Besides people who know how to express their thoughts on paper have a special mindset that will automatically make you stand out from the crowd.
2. Share what you are really interested in
Everyone has a hobby, something we love to do the most, and it doesn’t matter what it is, if we can share it with others. For instance, you love dogs and maybe even you’re working as a veterinarian. What you can do is to embody your passion, knowledge and experience to write a children’s book about the dog. You just take and share what you love in a creative way. Trust me, people going to like it.
While you stay clear and precise in your idea, people will read you. Remember, their reaction on your thoughts may be different, but it’s important that you decided to share with them.
3. Change people’s lives for the better
Perhaps your book will be about the changes that are relevant to nowadays events, about what people really want to say, but do not dare to do. It can be some kind of motivator. You can use your talent to encourage others to change or even to bring back a man to the spiritual path. Sometimes a single phase would be good enough to arouse a hidden potential in us.
4. Discover yourself in a new way
The writing process gives you the opportunity to delve into yourself to find the right words. You get a chance to explore yourself, comprehend your life and life in general. The process of writing and expressing thoughts takes the writer to new level of self-understanding. It consumes a lot of energy, but in the process you understand why writing is so special, and why writing is so sacred and deeply therapeutic activity.
Writing always has been ideal method of communication of what you feel and what you think. The ability to express your thoughts in written form is a powerful tool. Besides, there are people who just can’t speak in front of an audience, and books provide them the opportunity to share their thoughts directly.
6. Starting your own business
Many business people use writing as a tool to enter a new market. Books give you an opportunity to achieve something significant. First of all you can share your message all around the world, boosting trust in you and your business.
Also books have special trait, they leave their mark in history. Your thoughts, creativity, imagination and personal experience will be available to everybody in the world. So if you want to leave your fingerprints to the world one of the ways is writing a book :)
Have you thought about writing a story or book? If yes, what’s going to be about?Oct. 15, 2016, 1:14 a.m. 8 Report Embed 34
Again, invaluable information that is a must read for the new as well as the seasoned writer. I have Very difficult time finding that perfect level of detail. I'm hoping this platform will offer the assistance and/or guidance I so desperately need and crave. Thank you for sharing your insights on this subject matter.
We can keep Inkspired for free by displaying Ads to our visitors. Please, support us by whitelisting or deactivating the AdBlocker.
After doing it, please reload the website to continue using Inkspired normally.