The small details always matter. And in your own story too. For a writer, the most important thing is to write his/her novel, identify its characters, the plot, the outcome, and then, check the spelling, the grammar, that everything is fine and neat, and clear. But there are also other points that are sometimes forgotten and are just as fundamental as the story itself, for example: the cover and the readers' feedback.
It is clear that the story is the base, the trunk of the tree, but these details are the catapult to reach more people. After all, the goal of most writers (if not all) is to be read.
If your main goal is to publish your story, you must first create a good cover. In this mediatic and visual world, everything enters through the eyes, and if your story is interesting, but it doesn’t have a cover that catches the attention of the public, nobody will grab your book to read what it is about. Although a good cover doesn’t always mean it's a good book, this is your invitation to readers to get to know you.
There is already some market research in which they have discovered that books with good covers have increased their sales. However, the cover can not be a simple thing. It has to be done correctly, be functional, and go according to your story. In some way, it has to anticipate what the reader will find.
The cover is the only graphic (and non-textual) suggestion that you give the reader to imagine the story’s characters or scenarios. After all, you choose the design. You have two options to do it: create the cover on your own or leave it in the hands of a professional. Both paths are valid, both for an e-book and for a physical book. Of course, it must look professional. If it isn't, people will think that the novel is not either.
If you choose to do it by your own methods, there are several programs in which you can do it as InDesign or Photoshop, always taking into account the relevance between typography, colors, images or illustrations, etc.
And if you choose to leave it in the hands of a good professional (this is what we really recommend), you will save yourself work and you will have the security of having a functional and creative design because that is precisely their job. Of course, you must tell your designer exactly what your novel is about and what it is you want to convey so that he knows what resources to use.
On Inkspired, now you can hire this cover design service, which is in charge of some graphic designers expertise. There are three types of cover services: simple, photomontage or illustrations. The one you choose will depend more on the kind of story you have written. You can get this and other services by paying with credit card or with your Rewards Credits.
In addition to this, feedback from readers is another crucial point when writing a story, especially if you do it in a professional manner. One of the benefits of self-publishing is that you can receive this feedback from international readers. On Inkspired, BETA readers are a group of volunteers from different countries willing to read and leave comments to improve a specific chapter of your story. This service is extremely useful since constructive criticism is where you learn the most from. In our platform you can also hire this service.
Writing a story isn’t just about writing it. But also about worrying on how to promote and sell it, which also requires a strategy and constant work. These points mentioned above will contribute to this.Aug. 28, 2018, 4:56 p.m. 1 Report Embed 5
Great stories don't need a lot of words, just the right ones. That's why Inkspired believes that Micro-stories are one of the most original and challenging ways to tell something, whether fiction or non-fiction, drama or suspense, romance or fantasy, whatever. A micro-story can be everything and nothing at the same time, but you have to know how to tell it.
For this reason, we bring you the new Microfiction contest. This consist on creating a micro-story of maximum 70 words, of any literary genre, that follows the rules of what a micro-story is and at the same time, engages the reader. This can be written in Spanish or English.
The BEST MICROSTORY - the most authentic and interesting - will be the WINNER. And of course, spelling and grammar will be taken into account. Any error of these will subtract points.
Start date: August 14, 2018
End date: September 5, 2018
But what does a micro-story is?
It is a very short story, which usually has between 50 to 250 words maximum. They are not summary stories, but the boiling point of a longer story.
Its key is to narrate the most important part of the plot and leave the reader the power to imagine what we do not say.
If you want to know more about how to write a short story you can read the following post here or see the following video tutorial from our Online Academy.
1. You must write a micro-story of any category, using 70 words maximum, and write it in the following form: https://goo.gl/forms/33wPUKM6Dv5XWVP93
2. The micro-story must have a title, your Inkspired username, email and 3 hashtags that define it. You must fill in all the fields of the form without exception.
3. The contest will have a single winner, but we will also have a second place. Both will be announced on September 12th.
4 The winners will be chosen by the Inkspired editorial team, based on the originality of the text, creativity, quality and respect of the rules.
5. A minimum of 20 participants is required for the contest to be official. Otherwise, it will not be valid.
1. People from any part of the world can participate, but the micro-story must be written in English or Spanish.
2. The story shouldn't have more than 70 words, but it can have less.
3. The micro-stories must be of your authorship, we do not accept any kind of plagiarism and there may be legal actions if this is infringed.
4. The micro-stories don't have to be exclusive, they can be published on other platforms, but they must be yours.
5. The micro-story should not be published on the platform, only in the previously indicated form, but you must be an Inkspired user to participate. In case you are not a currently a user and want to compete, you just have to register. It's free!
6. We will not accept any other way to send us the micro-story other than through the form.
7. The micro-story must have a title, your Inkspired username, your email and 3 hashtags that describe the story.
8. This time you can participate with a maximum of 5 micro-stories. No more than 5 stories by the same author will be accepted. If this happens, all the micro-stories of this author will be disqualified.
9. Anyone who makes spam will be disqualified.
10. The terms of the contest must be fulfilled. No work that comes out of this period will be accepted.
11. Once the winners have been announced, they should write to email@example.com to coordinate the delivery of the prizes. If the winner is not pronounced within 15 days, the prize will be awarded to the second place.
12. By participating in this contest, Inkspired is granted the right to publish the participating micro-stories (with their respective authors) in the new format that is about to be launched.
13. You do not need to participate from the first day, you can do it whenever you want while the contest is open.
14. Participation in this contest means that the user knows and accepts the bases.
15. We also have competitions in other languages -English and Portuguese-, you can see them in the contests section of each language.
First place: $ 50.00 (fifty US dollars) and an audio of his short story narrated.
Second place: A graphic design with the written micro-story and appear on our social network.
How to send the micro story?
1. Enter the following link https://goo.gl/forms/33wPUKM6Dv5XWVP93
2. Fill all the fields
3. Send the form (Remember that it must be one form per micro-story)
Many believe that a successful writing career depends only in the talent of the writer. Even, there are authors who prefer not to work in other areas, like for example sales and advertising.
It is clear that it would be an extraordinary experience, that after spending months or years working on a story, in the end, you simply put it on sale and VOILÁ! You have officially become a famous author. And why not? who has time to socialize when a "bestseller" is being created? Given that all your sacrifice has not been in vain, at the time you publish your book, you think that the impact will be such that you will have to wear sunglasses to go to the supermarket and avoid the crowds. Well, obviously, your book is for sale now.
Yes, how fantastic that would be! Well, except for the part of having to wear sunglasses to go to the supermarket, at least to me, I like the peace of being anonymous of my work. However, in the writing world, remaining anonymous will not take you where you want to go since almost every author seeks is to share his or her art, and eventually become financial rewarded for it. Being a writer is a life's profession.
Many will answer "the book" because without a book there is no author. However, there are those who form their career as authors before they have even published their first book. That’s why authors of these times can market themselves in a versatile and ingenious way.
In the following, you have a list of suggestions and tips that are currently leading modern authors to success, whether you are an independent writer or an author who aspires to be hired by a publishing house, these tips can be a great help for you.
You can use a website, a blog, or a Facebook page. The important thing is to have a place where you can be effectively found. This must contain the basic information about you, your work (already finished or in-process), and other services that you can offer and of course, a way to contact you.
This will give you credibility and promote you in a professional way. Generally, when someone recommends us a service or product, many of us ask for the web page to check what he or she can offer. This first impression that you get is always important because it will attract you or make you go away. Therefore, make your web page, your cover letter and keep it updated at all times.
Social media can be your best ally to let yourself be known. That’s why it is crucial to have a good use of your social network. My advice is that while you make yourself known, you should keep in mind what is the image you want to project and what audience you want to attract. It would be good if you always use the same name and the same profile picture to identify you in all networks. Also if you want to attract people interested in romance, then, looking for them in a "forum" where people prefer cars or horror movies wouldn't be so effective.
In your personal accounts –for example Facebook- never become harassing by talking to people only about your next book, or by asking them to visit your page and read your articles, you don't want to be "unfollowed" or blocked. This doesn't mean you can't share from time to time information about what you do in a certain way, and at the same time, also share about other things, it shows your human side. Show genuine interest in what others do and keep it clear, that the main objective of the social media is to connect people and be sociable. Let them know your story and everything else that goes behind that story. And of course taking into consideration the image you want to project, you decide how open you want to be, and what can affect your professional life.
So, you can share some family photos, but perhaps parting pictures might be in excess. This doesn't mean you don't have a separate life, but that it might be better to create another personal account for it.
In the media that you use more for marketing purposes -for example Instagram or Twitter-, you could share more content daily or several times per week. But also, be aware that posting the same thing every half hour, it might exhaust your followers. Keep always in mind, that the goal is to make your audience see you more often and recognize you.
And if you do not know what else to post, share your experiences, what inspires you, give advices to others that are learning or even share motivational phrases.
If you're passionate about writing, write more, even if you don't have a story that is ready, this will enhance your experience. Team up with others, or support them on their path on becoming the writer they want to be.
Share what you know about writing, publish reviews about other books; this could be done through your Youtube channel, Blog, or writers' communities. For example, here through Inkspired .;)
For many writers, sharing their work is like getting naked. You are showing the world what goes on your head and your deepest thoughts. Why can this be a fantastic experience?
Because the only way to know where you are standing is through feedback. There are even platforms like Inkspired where you can publish your story without even finishing it. Meanwhile, you can ask other writers for advices or constructive criticism. This way you can become a better writer.
Good stories take time to build. So be patient and consistent. If something is giving positive results, repeat the process. Take note of what works and what doesn't. The only thing you shouldn't do is giving up.
Good writers are made with years of experience and failures. If you only write once a year, or just apply these tips from time to time, it will be difficult to archive your goal’s on the long run. So write frequently, create an authentic plan and pursuit it.
Never stop reinventing yourself, improve what you know by getting out of your comfort zone. There is always something new to learn. Keep reading books, promote your creations and hear what experts have to say regarding your work.
Always keep in mind that a growth mindset will help you adapt to changes and stay fresh and up to date. Remember, wise is the one who recognizes that he knows nothing, and the fool is the one who believes he knows everything.
Inkspired TeamAug. 7, 2018, 2:08 p.m. 2 Report Embed 5
You like to play the detective. To see the story from the outside. To unravel the mistery or what could happen. To analyze who is the bad guy. The murderer. The ghost. The demon. But what would happen if that antagonist, that guilty one, is you? Not easy, right?
On Inkspired is #ThrillerTime, therefore, we bring you a new contest based on that genre, called "YOU ARE GUILTY". The challenge consists in creating a short story of maximum 300 words, which must be written in FIRST PERSON point of view, narrating the story like you were the ANTAGONIST.
The BEST STORY - the most surprising, creative and loaded with suspense- will be the WINNER. And of course, spelling and grammar will be taken into account. Any error of these will take points off.
Start date: August 1, 2018
Closing date: August 30, 2018
But what is a Thriller?
It's a story that seeks to generate fear or shock in the reader. Usually, it shocks with unexpected turns.
There are different types of Thriller: Psychological Thriller, Paranormal, Police, Mystery, Spies, among others.
If you want to know more about how to write a thriller you can read the following post here.
1. You need to write a Thriller short story of 300 words, maximum, and publish it in your Inkspired account.
2. Once published, you could edit your story everytime you want, until the end date.
3. The short story must be published as SHORT STORY in the THRILLER or SUSPENSE/MISTERY category.
4. You must use the hashtag #ThrillerTime in the story’s description and also in the hashtags section.
5. The short story must have a title, an original cover, and a short description.
6. The contest will have only ONE winner, but we will also reward the second place. These will be announced on September 3rd.
7. The winner will be chosen by the Inkspired editorial team, who will focus on the story's creativity, suspense, quality and the respect of the bases.
8. It’s required a minimum of 20 participants for the contest to be official.
1. People from any part of the world can participate, but the story must be written in English.
2. The short story can’t have more than 300 words, but it can have less.
3. You must be the author of the story, we do not accept any kind of copy and there may be legal actions if this is infringed.
4. The story doesn't have to be exclusive, they can be published on other platforms, but it must be yours and uploaded to Inkspired as well.
5. If you are not a current user of Inkspired and want to participate, you just have to register. It's free!
6. The story must have the hashtag #ThrillerTime -in both the hashtag section and in the story’s description. In addition, it must have a title, a cover, and a brief description.
7. This time, you can only participate with a SINGLE story. No more stories by the same author will be accepted. If this happens, all of his/her stories will be disqualified.
8. Anyone who does spam will be disqualified.
9. The deadlines must be respected. No work that comes out of this period will be accepted.
10. The stories can be edited only during the time of the contest. Once closed, no changes will be accepted, or it will be disqualified.
11. Once the winners are announced, they should write to firstname.lastname@example.org to coordinate the prizes delivery. If the winner does not respond within 15 days, the prize will be awarded to the second place.
12. You do not need to participate from the first day, you can do it when you want while the contest is open.
13. By participating in this contest, you give the rights to Inkspired to make your story public.
14. Participation in this contest means that the user knows and accepts its bases.
15. We also have contests in other languages such as -Spanish and Portuguese-, you can see them in the contest section of each language.
First place: $50.00 (fifty US dollars) and an audio story of his tale told by one of Inkspired's journalists.
Second place: Your story reviewed and rated by our Thriller reviewer and appear in our featured stories of the week.
1. Go to www.getinkspired.com
2. Register as a user (if you are not already). You can do it manually or via Facebook.
3. Click on CREATE A STORY.
4. Choose the type of story you want to publish, in the case of the contest it must be: SHORT STORY
5. Write the title of your story and the category (in this case it would be THRILLER). The title can be edited later if you wish.
6. Write your story as a single chapter.
7. Once written click on 'save' and then 'close and go to the story’s profile’.
8. Here you can add the hashtag #ThrillerTime, the description, the cover and the language. Remember that the hashtag must go both in the hashtag section and in the description.
9. Then you will have to go down to where your chapter’s title is and click on the button that says 'Draft' and change it to 'Published'.
10. You can see a video tutorial on how to post here: https://getinkspired.com/faq/ -but it is in spanish.
July 31, 2018, 1:55 p.m.
Again, invaluable information that is a must read for the new as well as the seasoned writer. I have Very difficult time finding that perfect level of detail. I'm hoping this platform will offer the assistance and/or guidance I so desperately need and crave. Thank you for sharing your insights on this subject matter.
We can keep Inkspired for free by displaying Ads to our visitors. Please, support us by whitelisting or deactivating the AdBlocker.
After doing it, please reload the website to continue using Inkspired normally.