jack-l Jack L.

Kostas is a young man looking to fulfill his dream of traveling the Greek world. His journey begins in Kythera and spans the whole of Greece. The Greek world is in turmoil with the events of Thermopylae in recent memory. The Persians seek another attack, but the Greek world isn't ready. Doomed to fight and die in a war he has no control of, Kostas, a Kytheran, deserts his home in search of a free life. He encounters ancient ruins, beasts of myth, and pinnacles of civilization in Kostas's Odyssey...


Fantasy Historische Fantasie Nur für über 18-Jährige.

#history #adventure #action #mythology #myths #greekmythology #greece #greek #race
0
2.3k ABRUFE
Im Fortschritt - Neues Kapitel Alle 15 Tage
Lesezeit
AA Teilen

Odyssey's Beginning

Kythera Island, Greece

July, 436 B.C.E.

An island, for many, is viewed as a prison. An island is not given any respite from judgment. People would rather complain about the places they live and view them as less than horrid than take them for what they are.

Alas, young Kostas does not see the island for what it is. He admits the obvious. It is his prison, and he is locked up tight. Helios shines on this supposedly cozy Greek isle, but it still does it with a singeing hatred for those below it. Helios, while malevolent, is also benevolent. Greece, while peaceful and beautiful, is also violent and ugly.

The grain on the marble white cliffs waves in the wind as if brushed by Zeus's hand. Kostas stands in front of the field, looking over the cliff and out to the sea. His family lives on the side of Kythera that faces the Ionian Sea, but he longs for the other, the Aegean. He believes he must choose. He must choose between his family and the rest of Greece, the rest of the world he knows is out there somewhere.

Kostas grabs his bag sitting next to him, turns away from the Aegean, and heads toward the Ionian. The ground is littered with farm waste and small pebbles that dig into the smalls of his feet. The dust particles stick like leeches to his chiton. He pulls a small empty pouch out of his pocket and plays with it in his hand. It makes him sad to see all of his drachmae gone, but he knows he has worse things to worry about.

As Kostas walks he takes in the sights of the island. Despite his displeasure, the sights and sounds give him a feeling of nostalgia. He looks to the Murex facility and takes in the putrid odor of smashed shellfish. He looks to Andros's goat farm and smells once again the putrid air. All of these places remind him of and tie him to this place yet it also disgusts him so.

Finally, Kostas arrives at his family's home. His mother, Aloada, is sweeping the stoop in front of the door. She looks up, takes a breath, sighs, and then returns to her business.


-You are late, Kostas.- Aloada says with an aged coldness on her tongue.

-Mater, I apologize for my lateness. I had some business I needed to attend to in town.- Kostas replies timidly.


Aloada's face fades again from the initial excitement of the encounter. Alas, it was not a happy excitement to begin with. She seems to have a history of not caring too much about the world or those around her. Kostas, however, is the one thing she cares for, but even that sense of care is beginning to wane. She is a jaded woman who cannot remember the good times in her life.

As Kostas approaches the house, Chremon, Kostas's father and former soldier, opens the door and squeezes past Aloada to stand on the stoop. He looks outwards and maintains a fierce gaze upon Kostas.

-Where in everything under Helios, have you been? You were supposed to show up for training two hours ago.- He scowls.


The only thing Chremon was concerned with was ensuring Kostas followed in his footsteps. Chremon's plan, from the time of his marrying Aloada, to Kostas's birth, to now, was to turn Kostas into a soldier. After realizing what his father was doing, Kostas rebelled and rebelled against his father. This painted a picture of Chremon that he has never fully recovered from. The town views him as a failure for not showing his son the importance of honor, family, and duty. Is Kostas truly at fault for pursuing what he desires, or is Kostas simply selfish?


-Pater, as I told Mater, I was in town taking care of some errands.- Kostas says, holding his hands out innocently.

-Don't you dare lie to me, boy. I know what you did. You took that drachmae I gave you into town and gambled it! I gave it to you to buy supplies for this week's lesson and instead you blow it all, you malaka!- Chremon shouts.


Chremon was now red in the face, his hands clenched into fists. Sensing his anger, Kostas decides to take things a step further. He steps forward, heaves his shoulders back, and with a furrowed brow seals his fate.


-I never wanted to train with you in the first place. You're a decrepit malaka with no sense of honor or care for family! If you really did care about me, you would have had me for the sake of having a son and not a fucking soldier!-


Chremon stands in silent, emotionless shock. Aloada rolls her eyes, viewing this as just another one of Kostas's outbursts...


But this time, Chremon has had enough.


-Get off my property before I run my spear through your neck. I may be a decrepit malaka, but I've still killed more men than you can ever hope to imagine. I've spent my drachmae on you, spent my time on you, poured my love--


Kostas interrupts Chremon with a searing remark.


-Scratch the last one. You never loved me, you only loved Sparta, and we're a long fucking way from Sparta.-


The wind fills the air with motion. The sun has descended to the Aegean side. The warm glow of the sea to the east fills the air with an odd renewal. Both men stop and stare at each other, wondering what the other has become. With this thinking comes calm and they accept each other's directions.


-I'll be back- Kostas says before turning to go.


Chremon sighs and looks at Aloada with a sorrowful look. She remains emotionless and continues to sweep.


-Are you ever going to help me with him?- Chremon asks Aloada.


-Help you with him? I married you because my father allowed it. It does not mean I wanted it, nor did it imply that I wanted a son. Besides, you're both decrepit malakas.- She fires back with a furrowed brow.


Kostas looks back to the farm and sees both of his parents go inside. Knowing he would not be welcomed back, he needed to find the next best person he could trust.


Helios having descended below the horizon, blankets the whole of Kythera, all of Greece, in darkness. The fires of the surrounding settlements gradually go out, a closing to the day that is oddly poetic. The journey of Kostas, his odyssey, while on hold for the night, is just beginning...



5. Mai 2022 20:19 2 Bericht Einbetten Follow einer Story
0
Lesen Sie das nächste Kapitel True Suffering

Kommentiere etwas

Post!
Lina Banasiewicz Lina Banasiewicz
A very interesting start! I think it's very well written, the descriptions, the diverging emotions between the characters, the fight between the characters - I'm very intrigued as to how it will continue!
May 05, 2022, 21:13

  • Jack L. Jack L.
    Thank you so much for your review! May 06, 2022, 11:06
~

Hast Du Spaß beim Lesen?

Hey! Es gibt noch 2 Übrige Kapitel dieser Story.
Um weiterzulesen, registriere dich bitte oder logge dich ein. Gratis!

Verwandte Stories